Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015
    • (edited Jun 17th 2015)

A little bit of moonshine-style observations:

My last round of arithmetic geometry back then, after visiting Minhyong Kim last year, culminated in the observation (here) that the true differential-geometric analog of the Artin L-function for a given Galois representation is the perturbative Chern-Simons invariant of a flat connection on a hyperbolic manifold expressed as a combination of Selberg/Ruelle zeta functions.

Now the combination of Chern-Simons invariants and hyperbolic manifolds appears prominently in analytically continued Chern-Simons theory, where the imaginary part of the CS-action is given by volumes of hyperbolic manifolds (e.g. Zickert 07). (Thanks to Hisham Sati for highlighting this.)

Next, this formal complex combination CS(A)+ivolCS(A) + i vol also appears as the contribution of membrane instantons in M-theory, it’s the contribution of the Polyakov action functional of a membrane wrapped on a 3-cycle, if we read CS(A)=CCS(A) = C the contribution of the supergravity C-field.

Not sure how it all hangs together, but there might be some interesting relation here…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Does the volume of the complement of a hyperbolic knot come into the picture here?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I suppose so, but I don’t understand this yet.