Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthordavid.jaz
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2015

I’m trying to reconcile a few things I’ve heard about the nn-categorical ladder. First, (n+1)(n+1)-categories should be something like categories enriched in nn-categories. Second, 00-categories are sets, and (1)(-1)-categories are truth values. And third, every nn-category can be considered as a discrete (n+1)(n+1)-category.

So if I interpret ‘truth values’ to mean the poset of truth values FalseTrue\text{False} \rightarrow \text{True} with monoidal structure from and, \wedge, then I should expect 00-categories to be posets. But this would throw off the whole ladder, since then 11-categories would be categories enriched in posets, rather than in sets. This is mentioned in the (1)(-1)-category article on the lab. We could perhaps fix this situation by saying that sets really should be 00-groupoids, which would be posets that are groupoids and so equivalence relations, which seems fine. But the upper levels of the ladder are still messed up, unless we said that an (n+1)(n+1)-category is a category enriched in nn-groupoids, in which case we could get back our usual 11-categories. But then we’d be describing the (n,1)(n, 1)-categorical ladder, rather than the nn-categorical ladder. I suppose that the (n,r)(n, r)-categorical formalism might help me here, but I haven’t been able to grok it yet.

On the other hand, I could interpret ‘truth values’ to mean set of of truth values {False,True}\{\text{False}, \text{True}\} with monoidal structure from \wedge again. Now 00-categories are enriched in this category, but since it is discrete, [a,b][b,c]=[a,c][a, b] \wedge [b, c] = [a, c], and since [a,a]=1[a,a] = 1, $[a.b][b,a]=[a,a]=1 [a. b] \wedge [b, a] = [a, a] = 1$

so that [a,b]=1[a, b] = 1 for all aa and bb. This is a set, but it is codiscrete, rather than discrete (as a 11-category). So this interpretation of (1)(-1)-categories gives me the right 00-categories, but it gives me the ‘wrong’ kind of inclusion of nn-categories into (n+1)(n+1)-categories.

Is there a reason to prefer the discrete inclusion of nn-categories into (n+1)(n+1)-categories versus the codiscrete one? Is there a better way to think about (1)(-1)-categories that disentangles this?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I should expect 0-categories to be posets. But this would throw off the whole ladder, since then 1-categories would be categories enriched in posets, rather than in sets.

There’s a distinction (I can’t remember where it’s discussed) between the nn-groupoid ladder and the nn-category ladder, of which this is an echo. The groupoid of truth values (say {,1}\{\empty,1\}) gives sets on enriching in it. Note that a category enriched in nn-groupoids in an (n,1)(n,1)-category, and a groupoid enriched in an nn-groupoid is an (n+1)(n+1)-groupoid.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

One place is section 5.1 of arXiv:math/0608420.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthordavid.jaz

David> Wouldn’t the groupoid of truth values also give codiscrete sets? I guess my main question is why do we prefer the discrete inclusion to the codiscrete inclusion…

Mike> Hmm, thanks! It seems on first glance that you have a bunch of ladders for the different levels of groupoidyness vs. posetyness. The groupoid ladder is diagonal though, and so a very different thing…

It strikes me that a major problem with considering the codiscrete inclusion of nn-categories into (n+1)(n+1)-categories is that it won’t reflect equivalence. In light of my brief skim of the relevant section of your notes (I just began to read them this afternoon, unrelated!), it would also mess with the idea that (2)(-2)-categories should appear as contractible fibers; if all 00-categories were contractible as 11-categories this might pose an issue.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don’t think there is much sense to the “codiscrete” inclusion.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Jul 17th 2015)

Never mind