Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

Created internal profunctor, which also describes an idea I saw somewhere about internal diagrams in fibrations over the base category. I added what I think are two examples, and asked a generic 'Help!' question. It might be better off on a page of its own, though.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

As I am currently at IP which id banned from updating the nlab, I will leave here a note, that the stuff which you saw "somewhere" is in the reference of Maclane and Pare from 1980s, JPAA. I planned to write something more about it, than it is written in their paper, but this has to wait for some time...

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010

Thanks for that, Zoran. I didn't mean to be coy about the reference -- it's just that the ones I've seen (not Mac Lane & Paré) weren't at all comprehensive. One was a page of the Elephant that Google Books let me see, the other was a brief mention in a 1979 Cahiers paper by Bunge and Paré, which refers to Paré & Schumacher in LNM 661. I should be able to get at that one, but not the JPAA paper, because the TCD library's subscription doesn't go back far enough.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010

I should have a scan somewhere...I will find it for you, with few days of delay (remind me if nothing in a week).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010

I expanded on Mike's remark at internal profunctor for the case of diagrams in a strict indexed category, but I can't quite figure it out for the pseudo case. Any suggestions?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Maybe the Yoneda lemma for bicategories? I'm not sure exactly where you're stuck.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Jan 29th 2010)

I should have explained the problem -- in the strict case you can treat both S(-,C) and E as internal categories in presheaves and apply Yoneda 'levelwise', as in the entry. I don't think this works if E is only pseudo. Also, in that case the argument is not AFAICT a simple application of bicategorical Yoneda, because S(-,C) is not the hom-functor of a bicategory. In other words, the identity on C doesn't live in S.

You can still apply 1-categorical Yoneda and get (P,\phi), but I don't see how to turn those back into a pseudonatural \alpha : S(-,C) \to E -- the inverse construction only gives you presheaves S(-,C_0) \to E_0 = \mathrm{ob }\circ E and ditto for arrows.

It's late and my brain is a bit fried, so I'm probably missing something stupidly obvious. I'll try again after sleep.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

Ah. But you can treat S as a bicategory with trivial 2-cells, and C_0 and C_1 as objects of that bicategory, and then bicategorical Yoneda tells you that transformations S(-,C_i) \to E are the same as objects in E(C_i). The structure making the first one an indexed functor should be the same as the structure making the second an internal diagram.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

I still did not find the file for Saunders Maclane, Robert Paré, Coherence for bicategories and indexed categories* JPAA 1985 but will look this week at all file systems and backup CDs with my files.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

I have found it and sent a copy to F.L.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010

@ Mike:

Thanks for your replies. I think I've got it now, though the only real difference is that [S^{op},\mathrm{Set}] is embedded into [S^{op},\mathrm{Cat}]. I may just have been overcomplicating things in my head before. However, it's possible that, being but a Bear of Very Little Brain, I've made a silly mistake, so a quick professional glance would be helpful.

@ Zoran:

Thanks for that article! I'll give it a look and try to distil anything I find onto the lab.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2023

Fixed the direction of the bimodule defining an internal presheaf from 1 ⇸ C to C ⇸ 1.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier

Wait, a profunctor C ⇸ D is a bimodule D ⇸ C in Span? I am so confused.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

@ncfavier: as far as I’m aware, the standard convention on the nLab is that a profunctor CDC ⇸ D is a functor D op×CSetD^{op} \times C \to \mathrm{Set}.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier

But that would correspond to a bimodule D ⇸ C, unless you mean to tell me that the left leg of a span represents “destination” and the right leg “source”…

It also doesn’t reflect the direction of the heteromorphisms, from D to C.

If this choice of notation is well-accepted and recognised, doesn’t it a minima deserve a huge red warning at the top of the relevant pages?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier

I also don’t understand why this page claims that a bimodule C ⇸ 1 is equivalently a right C-module: the former has an underlying span C₀ → 1, while the latter has an underlying span C₀ → D₀, where D₀ is some set. So a right C-module is a functor C op×D 0SetC^{op} \times D_0 \to \mathbf{Set}, where D₀ is viewed as a discrete category.

Am I misunderstanding something?