Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorronniegpd
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015
    I am not too happy with the current page on Higher van Kampen theorems as Lurie's book confuses the van Kampen theorem with the small simplex theorem, on which there is a nice page,
    and there is no evidence that the Higher Homotopy van Kampen theorems on which I have published can be deduced from results in Lurie's books.

I have a recent exposition on "A philosophy of cmodelling and computing homotopy types" (given at CT2015, Aveiro) which is available on my preprint page and the CT2015 page
    http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~mas010/brownpr.html
    whose abstract is as follows:
    ------------------------------------
    This philosophy involves homotopically defined functors H from (Topological Data) to (Algebraic Data), and conversely "classifying space" functors B from (Algebraic Data) to (Topological Data). These should satisfy:
    1. H is homotopically defined.
    2. HB is naturally equivalent to 1.
    3. The Topological Data has a notion of connected.
    4. For all Algebraic Data A, we have BA is connected.
    5. H preserves certain colimits of connected Topological Data.

The algebraic data splits into several equivalent kinds, ranging from "broad" to "narrow", related by Dold-Kan type equivalences. The broad data is used for conjecturing and proving theorems; the narrow data is used for calculations and relating to classical methods.

As examples of Algebraic Data we give groupoids, crossed modules and crossed squares. We give a sample computation, using crossed squares, of the homotopy 3-type of the mapping cone of the classifying space of a morphism of crossed modules.
    ---------------------------------

So I am thinking of a new page on this.

Any comments?

Ronnie
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

Are you talking about the page higher homotopy van Kampen theorem or higher van Kampen theorem? (Why are those separate pages anyway?)

In any case, I would suggest rather than “forking” a new page, to instead add material to the existing page. You have a particular opinion about what “higher van Kampen theorems” should mean, but I think there are other equally valid opinions.