Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

I’ve been noticing for a while that older entries have bulleted lists that are not rendered correctly (they appear as running in-line text with asterisks). Invariably one finds that this occurs only if there is no space (blank line) between the bullet entries; putting in that space seems to fix the problem. I don’t know if this is a technical glitch, but I thought I’d bring it up.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’ve noticed it too. I think it’s enough to have one blank line before the list begins. Evidently the markdown renderer changed at some point in time. Would it be possible/easy to grep through the whole nlab to fix this everywhere it occurs?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

This was discussed before here at the forum, but I can’t recall where.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015
    • (edited Aug 13th 2015)

Earlier nForum thread (Aug 11th 2014): Broken lists. May I suggest that any further discussion happen there?

I, and I’ve noticed other people, tend to edit in a blank line after viewing a page with a broken list, though in one case I fixed somebody’s fix who didn’t know that only a blank line was needed.

If a page has unfixed lists does that mean that nobody knowledgeable has read it since last August?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015

Rod – I actually prefer to have extra lines between bullet entries anyway (much as Urs gives himself lots of space, for example an extra line after a +– line or before a =– line in theorem environments). In general, I prefer to have extra space if it makes it easier (for me) to parse when in edit mode. (And that’s especially so in math mode in LaTeX when the bracing and bracketing becomes very involved.) And therefore I would prefer not to have such a fix “fixed” (nothing is broken!).

As to your question: it’s either that, or somebody knowledgeable was feeling lazy. :-)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2015

I find that when I write a list, the list sometimes seems logically to be a part of the same paragraph as the surrounding text and sometimes not. I prefer to have blank lines around it only when it is a separate paragraph. In the past, I had no choice but to put a blank line after the list, because otherwise Markdown would not render it correctly; but a blank line before the list was optional1. So there was a real meaning in whether I put in that blank line.

That said, people should keep adding in the blank lines before lists when needed (as I also do), for the same reason that I always put blank lines afterwards. The important thing is that the list should render as a list, not that subtle things about paragraphs should appear in the source code even though they never made any appropriate difference to the rendered page. But it might amuse you to know that there was some method to it all.

1. But if there was only one item in the list, then the blank line before was also needed, if I remember correctly. 

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015

I wrote:

though in one case I fixed somebody’s fix who didn’t know that only a blank line was needed.

Todd wrote:

Rod – I actually prefer to have extra lines between bullet entries anyway (much as Urs gives himself lots of space, for example an extra line after a +– line or before a =– line in theorem environments).

I wasn’t talking about fixing a working list or taking out blank lines. Just today I fixed a fix by Anonymous Coward who “fixed” coequalizer#7 by changing a 1 to a 2 rather than adding a blank line.

That page is probably in the category of “hasn’t been looked at for years by anybody nLab knowledgeable.”

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2015

Just today I fixed a fix by Anonymous Coward who “fixed” coequalizer#7 by changing a 1 to a 2 rather than adding a blank line.

Personally, I prefer to have the ‘2.’ in there anyway, even with the blank lines. It's nice that the software numbers the list items automatically in case we move them around, but it helps to read in the editing window if the numbers increase in the source as they do in the output.

That page is probably in the category of “hasn’t been looked at for years by anybody nLab knowledgeable.”

John Dougherty knew what he was doing in 2014, but otherwise, yeah.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015

Just to make the point that preferences vary: I prefer not to increase the numbers in the source, because if we do, then if someone reorders the items or inserts or deletes one, then the numbers in the source would, although present, no longer correspond to the actual numbers displayed, which could be confusing. Whereas if every line is numbered ’1.’ then it is obvious that the numbers are being autogenerated on display and shouldn’t be expected to correspond to anything in the source.

I also generally prefer to minimize unnecessary blank lines, because they waste vertical space when editing a page, reducing the amount of the page that I can see at any given time. Moreover, if there are no blank lines in between bulleted lists, or between the begin and end of a theorem environment, then it is more clear to me visually that the entire list or environment “belongs together” as a block. If there are blank lines between everything then I have more trouble seeing at a glance the structure of the document.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015

Sometimes I vary the number of blank lines to indicate higher or lower levels of division. (Leaving them out entirely within a logical paragraph, as in my comment #6, fits in with that.)