Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015

I see Minhyong Kim has a paper out on this Arithmetic Chern-Simons Theory I. This differs from your approach, Urs?

… based on two observations:

a) (with Domenico Fiorenza): the extended TQFT with coefficients in higher spans “phased” over a moduli stack B nU(1)\mathbf{B}^n U(1) which to the point assings a given higher Chern-Simons bundle BGB nU(1)\mathbf{B}G \to \mathbf{B}^n U(1) will in codimension-1 assign the corresponding theta-line, and the functoriality in codimension-1 expresses this as a higher modular functor;

b) (with suggestions from Minhyong Kim): The system of sections of that theta-line, something like a corrected exponentiated eta-invariant, is the by far best differential geometric analog of the Artin L-functions

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015

At one point he quotes Bruce Bartlett. I checked with Bruce, the statement he mentioned to Minhyong Kim was taken from the nnLab, and it was one of the notes I had made a while back. Regarding the close analogy between Artin L-functions and the Selberg/Ruelle zeta functions, as well as the role of the latter as factors in the perturbative Chern-Simons invariant (Reidemeister torsion, eta invariant).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

I wonder if there could be a complex volume of the spec of a number field.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

The sequel has appeared

• Hee-Joong Chung, Dohyeong Kim, Minhyong Kim, Jeehoon Park, Hwajong Yoo, Arithmetic Chern-Simons Theory II, (arXiv:1609.03012)

We apply ideas of Dijkgraaf and Witten on three-dimensional topological quantum field theory to arithmetic curves, that is, the spectra of rings of integers in algebraic number fields. In the first three sections, we define classical Chern-Simons actions on spaces of Galois representations. In the subsequent sections, we give formulas for computation in a small class of cases and point towards some arithmetic applications.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

You should record this in some nnLab entry!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017
    • (edited Dec 17th 2017)

I added Minhyong’s nice talk

Slide 22 (or 64/114)

Moduli Spaces

Given an arithmetic scheme YY and a pp-adic Lie group AA, we will be interested in

M(Y,A):=Hom(π 1(Y),A)//A,M(Y,A) := Hom(\pi_1(Y),A)//A,

the moduli space of continuous homomorphisms

ρ:π 1(Y)A\rho: \pi_1(Y) \to A

up to conjugation.

Key point of lecture: Even though an arithmetic scheme is quite different from a manifold, M(Y,A)M(Y,A) is structurally similar to moduli spaces of bundles in geometry and physics.

Ripe for HoTT expression as dependent sum over BAB A of a hom-space?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Urs may remember we discussed this very object in Edinburgh at the conference dinner. I have the sketchy notes in my notebook.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Typo in the url: (slides)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017
    • (edited Dec 18th 2017)

At the moment I don’t have time for this, and I lost motivation a little when Arithmetic Chern-Simons theory I was put on the arXiv, after we had chatted about this.

On p. 17 in that article Bruce Bartlett is credited for pointing out the relation to Reidemeister torsion. I happened to be around Bruce at ESI Vienna when this came out and I checked with him: He had been recounting material that he had seen me write on the nLab. To point this out I had sent the following by email to Minhyong Kim:

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:02:27 +0200

Dear Minhyong Kim,

how are you doing? I saw your nice article on arithmetic Chern-Simons appear. That reminded me of some of the things that we were discussing back then.

I happen to be around with Bruce Bartlett in Vienna at the moment. Bruce tells me that the suggestion which you cite, about the relation to Reidemeister torsion, he got from the nLab, where I had been pointing out these relations.

Here is how I see it:

1) the differential geometric analog of Artin L-functions is clearly the Ruelle/Selberg zeta function

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Ruelle+zeta+function#AnalogyToTheArtinLFunction

2) the Ruelle/Selberg zeta function are known to serve to express both Reidemeister torsion as well as the eta invariant

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Selberg+zeta+function#RelationToTheEtaFunction http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Selberg+zeta+function#RelationToAnalyticTorsion

3) these are of course the factors in the perturbative Chern-Simons quantum invariant

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Chern-Simons+theory#PerturbativePathIntegralQuantization

I see that the article is now at version number 4 on the arXiv. But this attribution has not been modified.

• CommentRowNumber12.

That’s a shame. Minhyong’s program is receiving plenty of interest at the moment, even a popular article.

1. This is indeed very unfortunate. I get the impression that you know Minhyong a little, David; would you be able to find a way to remind him to try to put an attribution in place? He may have simply have accidentally omitted it, but such things can be deflating.

Perhaps also if the nLab work on this were to continue to be developed, it would make it clearer that much of the original thoughts about it occurred with Urs (and others?) here.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Thanks, Richard. I was intending to write to Minhyong anyway, so will mention this.

And, yes, I think there is an issue with correct attribution for information on a wiki. For one thing, some people imagine the name at the bottom of the page is the author, when it might be generated by the correction of a single letter. Second, the other day I saw an article referring to some nLab entries and listing all contributing authors. This is better, but still may list typo-correctors.