Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016
    • (edited Jan 18th 2016)

Because of the update I can not use my firefox for nLab related things so I installed Chromium to work on nLab and nForum within my desktop. Chromium does not let me use the standard google search unless I agree on a number of their spying requests. I mean when I open google search it pops out a window which is asking me to give it certain permissions what I will not do at any price (I am fed up with their nasty invasive behaviour); you can not remove the pop up unless you change the page when you loose the goggle search page. nLab has a search line which uses google search as well as our native search. I was surprised that when I type search in the line in nLab on the HomePage the window pops out asking me all the google registration and antiprivacy crap. Can it be avoided ? I mean, can we provide a search line using google which will block the pop up window in Chromium at every attempt of use ?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • (edited Jan 18th 2016)

I quickly tried whether replacing it with startpage would work, but it doesn’t seem to. If you have another suggestion please let us know so that we can discuss a concrete proposal.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

On seeing your post Zoran, I tried the n-Lab on Chrome and there were no problems! I do not think I have agreed to invasive behaviour so am mystified.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    • (edited Jan 19th 2016)

Why not simply switch to some decent nonspying engine like DuckDuckGo? Here are their instructions on setting up site search: https://duckduckgo.com/search_box

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

In fact, https://www.qwant.com/ looks even better. They also have explicit promises of nonspying.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

What happens if we add multiple options, will google still listening?

How do people feel about this in general ? Should we give up some usability on the nlab for privacy ? Opinions seem to vary.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2016
    • (edited Jan 25th 2016)

Tim: maybe the issue is the new chromium for ubuntu as opposed to some older chrome versions. Are you on ubuntu ?

6: I don’t think it is a big issue. I mainly use the nLab’s own search and for the time being I can have simultaneously open firefox where I can freely search google without commitment and their native chromium where I avoid everything from google. But if there is a simple technical solution, then it would be attractive to use it.

4:thanks for the tip, it is nice to know of this.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016

Zoran: I am using Version 48.0.2564.82 on a Mac. There seem to be none of the problems that you mention.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

The popup window says that I MUST go through this to continue using web services. On the next page it says that they will combine the data of my usage of multiple devices and so on. So big spy.