Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016
    • (edited Jan 24th 2016)

In the article ideal, I do not think the definition of prime ideal for rings or rigs is stated accurately. Certainly the definition is appropriate for commutative rings or rigs, but for noncommutative rings at least, the usual definition is different: an ideal PP is prime if for any ideals A,BA, B, if ABPA B \subseteq P, then APA \subseteq P or BPB \subseteq P. Under this definition, we have that the zero ideal in a matrix ring over a field is a prime ideal (vacuously, since matrix rings are simple rings) – but it is not prime under the nLab definition.

I’m not sure what the definition ought to be in the case of noncommutative rigs. Maybe it’s the same. (I generally wonder how much we should be focused on ideals in rigs, or similarly on kernels of maps between commutative monoids, when it seems to me that congruences or kernel pairs are the more salient structural notion for these cases.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Interesting! Why is that the usual definition? I don’t think I would have expected the zero ideal to be prime in a ring (commutative or otherwise) that has zero divisors.

• CommentRowNumber3.

That’s a very good question, but I’m afraid I don’t have a good answer. My knowledge of noncommutative algebra is embarrassingly close to zero. I’m leafing through Google books by Lam and Goodearl and Warfield to try to learn more.

Zoran could tell us a great deal, I’d bet. My rough impression is that a large bulk of noncommutative ring theory is developed by studying their module categories, and that the conventional definition of prime ideal has proven its worth by being the more useful one for describing module structure. Maybe those category theorists who go one step further from noncommutative rings to algebroids have also developed ideas about ideal theory.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016

So getting back to some of these issues, I think maybe the way to handle the notion of “prime ideal” is to (1) note the the lattice of ideals for many of the situations of genuine interest (rings, rigs, distributive lattices) forms a quantale, and (2) note that there is a general notion of prime element in a quantale (pp such that xypx y \leq p implies xpx \leq p or ypy \leq p) which specializes to the ’correct’ notion of prime ideal in each of these cases.

What is additionally nice is that there seems to be a general result that a nontrivial compact quantale admits a prime element. This can be regarded as a fairly general prime ideal theorem which covers all the cases set out in the introduction of that article.

Finally, in partial reply to Mike’s question in #2, I’ll just note that maximal (two-sided) ideals in rings are prime if we use this ’correct’ notion, but not if we use the original definition given in the nLab. (More commentary on this question may have to wait. Somewhat annoyingly, perhaps, is that prime ideals are not stable under inverse image.)