Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016

I’ve been adding some things I’ve recently learned to prime ideal theorem.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

I’ve just finished doing a massive rewrite of prime ideal theorem which does things in pretty fair (but certainly not ultimate) generality, mostly from the point of view of quantale theory (and so I’ve added a little more to that article, too). I think I’m done for the time being. Enough details are there so that anyone could follow.

Sample theorem from prime ideal theorem: if TT is a commutative Lawvere theory, then every proper ideal in a monoid of Set TSet^T is contained in a prime ideal. This gives for example the PIT for rigs, which had been on a sort of to-do list in an earlier version of the article.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

And I decided to do a little reorganization at ideal under “Kinds of ideals”, adding a little more material along the way.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016

Wow, very cool! I don’t have time to read it all carefully, but this looks very nice. How much of this did you come up with yourself?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016
    • (edited Feb 6th 2016)

Thanks very much, Mike! Except for the bit at the end of prime ideal theorem giving some general categorical conditions for when to expect a PIT (and which I thought might be a little bit ad hoc when I mentioned it recently in connection with ideals in a monoid), the rest I believe has been known for quite a while (Paseka’s article – once I deciphered it – was particularly helpful recently). However, much of the literature that I’ve scanned on this seems not too friendly to the outsider, and it took some effort for me to put this together. A lot of reading between the lines, as it were.

And yet, it’s a fairly simple story I’ve tried to tell (the arrangement of which is where I’ll take credit), although there are still some aspects I’d like to understand better, naturally.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

It’s a really nice story to have on the nLab all in one place and clearly explained.

On a barely related note, somehow it’s puzzling to me that a compact locale must have a point. I don’t intuitively see the connection between open-cover compactness and consistency of a theory.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

I sympathize with that puzzlement. As noted in the article, the result is also in Stone Spaces (I.9), but I haven’t combed through Johnstone’s development to see whether the intuition behind it shines through.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

Oh, duh, is it that any nontrivial locale represents a finitely consistent theory, so if it is compact then it must be globally consistent as well? (There must be some nontriviality condition in the result, since the empty space is compact.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

That’s probably a good way to think of it, although that hadn’t occurred to me!