Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016

Since Urs started Freudenthal magic square, I added magic triangle. Does the ’magic pyramid’ of Duff and colleagues in A magic pyramid of supergravities warrant an entry?

Hmm, if the triangle extends the square, and the pyramid has the square as a base, shouldn’t there be a magic tetrahedron?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Does the ’magic pyramid’ of Duff and colleagues in A magic pyramid of supergravities warrant an entry?

Yes, just yesterday I was talking about this with John Huerta (I am in Lisbon this week) and I thought that we’d need an entry on this.

Right now I am busy with something else. But if you feel like making a start, that would be much appreciated.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Regarding what you write in the entry: on the face of it it sounds strange to say that a square has been “extended” to a triangle. Is that the usual was this is phrased? (Just expressing my ignorance here.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

A 4×44 \times 4 square contained in an 8×88 \times 8-triangle.

Deligne and Gross

The subgroups which occur form a Magic Triangle, which extends Freudenthal’s Magic Square of Lie algebras.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Could you say that in the entry?

• CommentRowNumber6.

OK, I added some more bits and pieces.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2016

re #1, #2: I have started magic supergravity with some bare minimum. Mainly a collection of references.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016

I really haven’t followed all this, but what of #4 Deligne and Gross embedding that base square into a larger triangle?

Is this interest now linked to your work with John Huerta?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 18th 2016)

but what of #4 Deligne and Gross embedding that base square into a larger triangle?

I still don’t know, I have no good grasp of these triangles.

Is this interest now linked to your work with John Huerta?

It’s part of my general quest of understanding if there is a theory of gravity that sort of canonically emanates from the superpoint. With John I have been talking about some of these things, and he worked out answers to some questions that I had.

So, remember, the beginning of the story is the observation in Modern Physics formalized in Modal Homotopy Type Theory (schreiber) in the section Space-time-matter, that once the progression on modalities has completed its cycle, we are left with three special objects: the real line = 1|0\mathbb{R} = \mathbb{R}^{1\vert 0}, the odd line 0|1\mathbb{R}^{0\vert 1} and the infinitesimal disks 𝔻\mathbb{D}. Namely these “represent” the three modalities on the vertical axis of the progression, in that these are given by universally contracting these objects to points:

Rh L 0|1 L 𝔻L 0|1 L L 𝔻L 0|1 \array{ Rh & \simeq & L_{\mathbb{R}^{0 \vert 1}} \\ \vee \\ \Im & \simeq & L_{\mathbb{D}} L_{\mathbb{R}^{0 \vert 1}} \\ \vee \\ \int & \simeq & L_{\mathbb{R}} L_{\mathbb{D}} L_{\mathbb{R}^{0 \vert 1}} }

Now the idea is that we apply the magnifying class of homotopy theory to look what structures we find inside these objects, by computing something like their Whitehead tower.

So we consider all 2-cocycles, then pass to the extension these classify, then all 3-cocycles, and so forth. Something like this.

On 0|1\mathbb{R}^{0\vert 1} we find a single 2-cocycle up to scale. The extension that it classifies is the super-translation group 1|1\mathbb{R}^{1\vert 1}.

On 0|2= 0|1× 0|1\mathbb{R}^{0\vert 2 } = \mathbb{R}^{0\vert 1} \times \mathbb{R}^{0\vert 1} we find a a 3-dimensional space of 2-cocycles. The extension that these classify is the super-Minowski spacetime group 3|2\mathbb{R}^{3\vert 2}.

On 3|4= 3|2× 3 3|2\mathbb{R}^{3\vert 4} = \mathbb{R}^{3\vert 2} \underset{\mathbb{R}^3}{\times} \mathbb{R}^{3\vert 2} we find another 2-cocycle, up to scale. The extension that this classifies is the super-Minkowski spacetime group 4|4\mathbb{R}^{4\vert 4} which underlies 4d supergravity.

In this story one may replace the real numbers with any real normed division algebra 𝔸\mathbb{A}. IF one then restricts attention to 2-cocycles on 𝔸 0|2\mathbb{A}^{0\vert 2} that are sesquilinear, then the same story yields the super-Minkowski spacetimes in dimensions 3,4,6,10 and 4,5,7,11, respectively. This is because one sees that this story of 2-cocycles classifying extensions of superpoints gives just another perspective on the familiar relation between supersymmetry and division algebras.

Based on this, I tried to understand what first principle might make us want to consider those superpoints 𝔸 0|2= 0|2dim(𝔸)\mathbb{A}^{0 \vert 2} = \mathbb{R}^{0 \vert 2 dim(\mathbb{A})} with sesquilinear 2-cocycles on them. While it is an impressive re-packaging that just saying “sesquilinear over a real normed division algebra” makes all these super-spacetime groups appear, I presently fail to see how it is more than a neat re-packaging.

But then, it’s not all that bad to have spacetime dimension 3+1 singled out, and common lore has it that all the higher super-spacetimes, together with their “hidden degrees of freedom” (U-duality, gauge enhancement), is reflected in those “magic” extensions of 3+1 dimensional supergravity anyway, that’s more or less what the magic pyramid parameterizes.

So now I am thinking that I should exercise trust in where the formalism is leading us, and concentrate more on how the story continues from 4|4\mathbb{R}^{4\vert 4} on. The magic pyramid knows at least something about this.

• CommentRowNumber10.

You always knew those three kinds of dimension were the basic ones, so it’s pleasant to see them appear lined up down that central axis. I wonder if we could ever see why the respective localizations have: two adjoints to the right; one adjoint either side; two adjoints to the left.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    • (edited Sep 20th 2016)

I have separated magic pyramid from magic supergravity (both entries remain stubs for the moment.). Because, even though both are about magic squares in super-gravity and generally closely related, the “magic supergravity” theories are not in the “magic pyramid”. (As highlighted on p. 4 of ABDHN 13).