Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016

Started sugaring.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Let’s add some cross-links. For instance we do have an entry “computer science”. And does it not just as well apply to formal logic more generally?

• CommentRowNumber3.

I don’t know about the scope of the term. I’ve only ever seen it in a computer science context, but maybe straight logicians use it. Anyone know?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

People speak about “sugared set theory” and “sugared ZFC”. At least this guy here does frequently.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I think in fact the phrase is widespread, as in “syntactic sugar”. (John Baez also once used the phrase “semantic sugar” to me when he was trying to read something I had written.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Heh, I’d forgotten about my so-called “challenge”. Not that the guy in question understood what I meant.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Ok, I’ll say “In computer science and more generally”. It certainly seems to have started there.

1. Added a further example: classes in a set theory like ZFC.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016
    • (edited Apr 20th 2016)

I would think a rather extreme example of syntactic sugaring outside of computer science would be Einstein_notation where things that look like exponents are just indices and what looks like a simple equation can be formally syntactically translated into more primitive syntax involving summation. (This convention seems to only be briefly mention in the nLab at matrix calculus.)

I’m not too happy about the linguistic example at sugaring as sugar because they are missing a formal translation, and any such translation would be in some sense be from syntax to semantics and wouldn’t be a syntactic translation (that is unless you believe that syntax is semantics.)

• CommentRowNumber10.

I’m not too happy about the linguistic example…

It’s probably too prominent an example on the page, but computer scientists do speak of sugaring into natural language. I don’t understand why you see it as a translation to semantics. The word ’syntax’ comes originally from grammarians studying natural language, e.g., things like verb-subject-object order. I should think this very much a case of translation from a formal syntax to a natural language syntax.

• CommentRowNumber11.

I’ve reorganised things to allow a list of examples. The natural language case can sink down the list.

Looking back at Landin’s original coinage, he’s wondering about the correspondence between the kinds of ’sum’ (i.e., calculation) posed in school exams and expressions in a formal system such as the λ\lambda-calculus. The former will often include natural language, ’Find a/b, where a=…, b=…’.

You can see why Ranta considers operations from type theory to natural language as sugaring. In his example he has three ways of rendering a dependent sum into natural language and hence nine ways to render a double sum.

I agree Einstein summation is a good example. It seems incredible we have so little on it. matrix calculus points to WIkipedia and Hamiltonian mechanics has it unlinked. Of course, this all ties into the string diagram renditions of the tensor calculus. So let’s start Einstein summation convention.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2020

Added

• Aarne Ranta, Type theory and the informal language of mathematics, TYPES ’93: Proceedings of the international workshop on Types for proofs and programs, pp. 352–365.

diff, v9, current