Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016
    • (edited May 13th 2016)

Might anyone have a pdf copy of Peter May’s thesis for me, the document that, I gather, expands over the published version May 66 by a discussion specific to the Steenrod algebra?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 13th 2016)

I have been adding to May spectral sequence details of its construction, following the sketch on p. 69 of Ravenel 86 (also Kochman 96, section 5.3).

I have tried to make it very explicit, and will eventually try to make it more expository. There might still be glitches, though. I have marked the entry as “under construction”.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have now also started to add the discussion here of how from the May spectral sequence the homotopy groups of spheres at 2 are computed. For the moment I tried to put in just enough information to make clear how the computation works. And then the tables.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016
    • (edited Jul 19th 2016)

On the first page of the May spectral sequence for the second page of the classical Adams spectral sequence: how do we deduce that all (h n,k) 2(h_{n,k})^2 are d 1d_1-cocycles? In Kochman’s book on p. 201 it says “since d 1d_1 is a derivation”. But the product is in the cobar complex, where we don’t have that (d 1h n,k)h n,k+h n,k(d 1h n,k)=2h n,k(d 1h n,k)(d_1 h_{n,k}) h_{n,k} + h_{n,k} (d_1 h_{n,k}) = 2 h_{n,k} (d_1 h_{n,k}) (hence =0mod2\cdots = 0 \;mod \;2). Or do we? I must be missing something here.

[edit: got it; the product of course takes place not in the cobar complex, but in its image in the E 1E_1-page, which is graded commutative]