Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-theory cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor galois-theory gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2016

The following sentence was at inaccessible cardinal:

A weakly inaccessible cardinal may be strengthened to produce a (generally larger) strongly inaccessible cardinal.

I have removed it after complaints by a set theorist, and in light of the below discussion box, which I have copied here and removed.

Mike: What does that last sentence mean? It seems obviously false to me in the absence of CH.

Toby: It means that if a weakly inaccessible cardinal exists, then a strongly inaccessible cardinal exists, but I couldn't find the formula for it. Something like κ\beth_\kappa is strongly inaccessible if κ\kappa is weakly inaccessible (note that κ=κ\aleph_\kappa = \kappa then), but I couldn't verify that (or check how it holds up in the absence of choice).

Mike: I don’t believe that. Suppose that the smallest weakly inaccessible is not strongly inaccessible, and let κ\kappa be the smallest strongly inaccessible. Then V κV_\kappa is a model of set theory in which there are weakly inaccessibles but not strong ones. I’m almost certain there is no reason for the smallest weakly inaccessible to be strongly inaccessible.

JCMcKeown: Surely κ\beth_\kappa has cofinality at most κ\kappa, so it can’t be regular. Maybe the strengthening involves some forcing or other change of universe? E.g., you can forcibly shift 2 λ=λ +2^\lambda = \lambda^+ for λ<κ\lambda \lt \kappa, and then by weak inaccessibility, etc… I think. Don’t trust me. —- (some days later) More than that: since the ordinals are well ordered, if there is any strongly inaccessible cardinal greater than κ\kappa, then there is a least one, say θ\theta. Then V θV_\theta is a universe with a weakly inaccessible cardinal and no greater strongly inaccessible cardinal. Ih! Mike said that already… So whatever construction will have to work the other way around: if there is a weakly inaccessible cardinal that isn’t strongly inaccessible, and if furthermore a weakly inaccessible cardinal implies a strongly inaccessible cardinal, then the strongly inaccessible cardinal implied must be less than κ\kappa. And that sounds really weird.

I was also supplied with a AC-free proof that weakly inaccessibles are ()\aleph_{(-)}-fixed points:

First, a quick induction shows that αω α\alpha\leq\omega_\alpha is always true. If κ\kappa is a limit cardinal, then the set of cardinals below κ\kappa is unbounded; but since it’s also regular there are κ\kappa of them. So ω κκω κ\omega_\kappa\leq\kappa\leq\omega_\kappa, and equality ensues.

I can edit this into the page if desired.

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)