Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2016

edits and edit discussion on the entry conformal compactification is going on here

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Thanks. It seems that’s a better place to engage Willie than here, but I may copy over any insights if they are warranted.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I added that the Klein quadric conformally compactifies complexified 3,1\mathbb{R}^{3,1}, with a sketchy reference as really I have to go offline now. (Lecturing in 8.5 hours and need to sleep first…)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added the brief remark that the example of complexified Minkowski spacetimes conformally compactifying to the Klein quadric is key in the twistor correspondence.

And thereby this discussion connects to the solitonic M5-dicussion here. Is that the reason why you are looking into conformal compactification at the moment? Still building that explicit String 2-bundle for Christian?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016

I added the equation, and the reference to Klein’s thesis.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! (we should say that your edit is at Klein quadric)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Whoops, thanks.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016

Added link to Klein quadric to published version of Klein’s thesis (is Springer hiding results from Google? I could only get it by searching the journal website itself, once I discovered where it was published) in German, and a link to a pdf of the English translation, not sure where that pdf is from, searching its title gives only that one result.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016

I added to conformal compactification the actual formula for the embedding n,1 n+1,2{0}\mathbb{R}^{n,1}\hookrightarrow \mathbb{R}^{n+1,2}\setminus \{0\}. In fact this is a diffeomorphism with the intersection of the real points of the Klein quadric with a particular hyperplane (the original Minkowski space times one of the null planes in the extra 1,1\mathbb{R}^{1,1} factor – there’s another disjoint embedding using the other null plane). I need to calculate the correct normalisation factor that means this will land in S n×S 1S^n\times S^1 instead, but not now.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    • (edited Aug 2nd 2016)

Well, as a first stab, I think with the normalising factor the map n,1S n×S 1 n,1× 1,1\mathbb{R}^{n,1} \to S^n\times S^1 \subset \mathbb{R}^{n,1}\times\mathbb{R}^{1,1} looks like

1q(x,t) 2+2(|x| 2+t 2)+1(2x,2t,1q(x,t),1q(x,t)) \frac{1}{\sqrt{q(x,t)^2 + 2(|x|^2+t^2)+1}}(2x,2t,1-q(x,t),-1-q(x,t))

in the notation of conformal compactification.