Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

Finally I am starting an entry Platonic 2-group.

For the moment, all it has is the statement of Epa-Ganter 16, prop. 4.1, rephrased as the diagram

𝒢 uni[i] BG ADE B 3/|G ADE| String(SU(2)) BSU(2) c 2 B 3U(1) \array{ \mathcal{G}_{uni}[i] &\longrightarrow& \mathbf{B}G_{ADE} &\longrightarrow& \mathbf{B}^3 \mathbb{Z}/{\vert G_{ADE}\vert} \\ \downarrow && \downarrow && \downarrow \\ String(SU(2)) &\longrightarrow& \mathbf{B} SU(2) &\underset{\mathbf{c}_2}{\longrightarrow}& \mathbf{B}^3 U(1) }
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I added a comment on what the ii in your diagram means.

It’s reminiscent of my quest to find a basic 2-group for Klein 2-geometry. I was looking for copies of some group sitting on the vertices of a cube, and then wondering about symmetries.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I added a comment on what the ii in your diagram means.

Thanks! I also added that to the diagram, and harmonized the notation a little.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2018

Idle thought in passing: can these Platonic 2-groups be lifted to the fivebrane 6-group?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018

It sure looks like the pattern wants to continue. But since the Platonic n-groups are, crucially, not just the pullbacks of the Whitehead stages, it is not evident if it will work.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2021
    • (edited Jul 5th 2021)

I have recovered the pdf for

via the WaybackMachine, and have now uploaded it to the nnLab server.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2021
    • (edited Jul 9th 2021)

I think we finally understand what the main Epa-Ganter result means in light of Hypothesis H.

Namely, recalling (pp. 38 in arXiv:1904.10207) that, by Hypothesis H, the integral shifted C-field flux is witnessed by the universal characteristic class

vol S 4+14p 1H 4(S Sp(2);) vol_{S^4} + \tfrac{1}{4}p_1 \;\;\in\;\; H^4\big( S^{\mathbb{H}} \!\sslash\! Sp(2);\, \mathbb{Z} \big)

on Borel-equivariant 4-Cohomotopy (which, as usual, is named after its rational image, where it is the sum of the fiberwise volume form on the 4-sphere with one quarter of the first Pontrjagin class).

Now given an ADE-singularity controlled by a finite subgroup inclusion

GiSp(1)q(q 0 0 1)Sp(2) G \overset{i}{\hookrightarrow} Sp(1) \xhookrightarrow{ q \mapsto \left( \array{ q & 0 \\ 0 & 1} \right) } Sp(2)

we are to ask how this class restricts to the GG-equivariant Cohomotopy. Using Epa-Ganter and this SS-computation, one finds, I think, that the result is

i *(12χ 4+14p 1)=(1,[1]) |G|H 4(S 4G;). i^\ast \big( \tfrac{1}{2}\chi_4 + \tfrac{1}{4}p_1 \big) \;=\; (1, [1]) \;\;\in\;\; \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{\left\vert G \right\vert} \;\simeq\; H^4\big( S^4 \!\sslash\! G;\, \mathbb{Z} \big) \,.

This means, in particular, that on a flat GG-orbifold with vanishing 4-flux form, the residual integral background 4-flux is the generator [1]H 4(BG;)[1] \in H^4\big( B G;\, \mathbb{Z} \big), which classifies the universal BS 1B S^1 2-group extension of the Platonic group GG that Epa-Ganter discuss.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2021

Those Platonic 2-groups were part of a program with ambitious goals, including a Monster 2-group:

Is there any sign of further contact with Hypothesis H?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021

I don’t currently know what relates the finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2) to the Monster, other than that both carry interesting 3-cocycles (when regarded with S 1S^1 coefficients – the “Moonshine cocycle” in the case of the Monster) whose transgression to 2-cocycles on their inertia groupoids is of interest.

For the finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2) these 3-cocycles are naturally understood, via #2, as background C-fields in M-theory on ADE-orbifolds, which conceptually explains the relevance of their transgression to the inertia: That’s the corresponding H 3H_3-field!

For the Monster the key observation seems to be that the transgression of the Moonshine cocycle to Huan’s inertia orbifold of the Monster has structural properties similar to those appearing in Norton’s Moonschine Conjecture. That’s Observation 2.1.3 in Nora’s arXiv:1301.2754, in view of the more recent re-interpretation of her “rotation condition” by way of Huan’s inertia referenced here. The review in Dove 19 provides a good cleaned-up account with comprehensive referencing.

So that’s interesting, but also mysterious (to me). The Monster should be symmetries of a heterotic string background, but not spacetime orbifold singularities as for the ADE-subgroups above. Are we to think of the Moonshine cocycle as an aspect of the C-field in heterotic M-theory? I don’t see that but I really don’t know.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Thanks!

On another point, funny to see as part of the Klein 2-geometry series I was looking for something for a categorified platonic group to act on.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Just to recall that, generally, the String(G)String(G) 2-group (of which the “Platonic 2-groups” are the restriction to finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2)) is the Heisenberg 2-group of the WZW-model on GG, acting by 2-symplectomorphisms covering the left action of GG on itself. This is on p. 42 of our arXiv:1304.0236, which Nora Ganter is referring to in the note you mention in #8.

Another interesting question here is: The transgression of the corresponding group 3-cocycle on GG to a 2-cocycle on the inertia groupoid classifies a degree 3-twist for orbifold K-theory, hence an equivariant bundle of Fredholm operators. Via the transchromatic characted idea this may be understood as the degree-4 twist of Tate-elliptic cohomology, before transgression. But it would be interesting to have the degree 4-twist upstairs classify a twist for elliptic cohomology directly, as some bundle of vertex operators or the like.