Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016

We don’t have a page for local cohomology. Is it there under some other name?

Someone has made Grothendieck’s book on the subject available.

Akhil Mathew has a number of posts on the topic.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 22nd 2016)

In as far as local cohomology is the operation of torsion approximation (as recalled in Akhil’s first article in the series here) then this would be one of the operations of “arithmetic cohesion” recalled here, I suppose. This is amplified in Barthel-Heard 15.

Which reminds me: I had given up on “arithmetic cohesion” because it only worked for non-unital rings. But yesterday Thomas Nikolaus tells me about him generalizing some key facts to non-unital ring theory. For instance the basic fact of “Kontsevich-style non-commutative algebraic geometry” or “non-commutative motives” that compactly generated stable \infty-categories are \infty-categories of modules over A A_\infty-ring(oid)s generalizes to the non-unital case.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

It seems Barthel-Heard-Valenzuela aim for full generality: “a simple abstract categorical framework which allows the construction of local cohomology and homology in general categorical contexts”, just given a collection of compact objects of a closed symmetric monoidal, presentable stable category.

Which reminds me: I had given up on “arithmetic cohesion” because it only worked for non-unital rings.

Was that after this?:

I am beginning to wonder if the appearance of nonunital E E_\infty-geometry in “arithmetic cohesion” is more of a virtue than a bug.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, I had been beginning to wonder that way, but then I didn’t really sort out what to make of it. Something to look into again.