Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2016

Is there a word to describe the process of making something categorical? “Categoricalization”?

By this I don’t mean a categorification, which is instead something “one level up”, I mean rather something like, for example, going to set theory to the category of sets and functions.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I suggest ’to make something categorical’. You said it yourself!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I think I’ve seen “categorization”.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2016

… perhaps, but I think that “categorization” has also a separate meaning, namely something akin to ’putting the objects of study into categories’ (in this setting ’categories’ being almost synonymous to ’classes’ so the term would be analogous to ‘classification’ in that use.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Isn’t “going from set theory to the category of sets and functions” a process of “putting the objects of study into categories”? (-:

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone

Mike, I think Tim means ’categories’ in the common sense of the word, not mathematical. But I may be wrong here.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

My reading of Mike’s #5 is that he had in mind both senses.

I haven’t yet found (through Google) confirmation of Mike’s #3, although if you look at the Idea section of category theory, under Examples, you see the use of the word “categorize”, effectively amalgamating these two senses. So I think “categorization” is apt; linguistically I much prefer it to the ungainly “categoricalization”.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016

I've seen this described as making things arrow-theoretical.