Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohnCohn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016
    • (edited Dec 12th 2016)
    I'm sorry if anyone will dislike my question, but it is the one that interests me. I'm by no means an expert in (∞,n)-categories or even (∞,1)-categories, so if some of my remarks would sound silly, I hope you forgive me.

I'm intrigued by higher mathematics. By higher mathematics I mean (∞,1)-categorical mathematics, namely, higher algebra (as in Lurie's "Higher Algebra") and higher geometry (as in Lurie's "Spectral Algebraic Geometry", numerous Toen's and Vezzossi's articles on derived and homotopical algebraic geometry).
    Thanks to Lurie and others, theory of (∞,1)-categories is well-developed as of now. So well we can also develop the aformentioned "higher mathematics".
    But as I understand, theory of (∞,n)-categories is not as well-researched as the one of (∞,1)-categories. It also doesn't have as many applications. For example, the only ones I know of are the proof of Cobordism Hypothesis which requires (∞,n)-categories to state and the use of (∞,2)-categories in Goodwillie calculus of functors. Both topics are researched by Jacob Lurie.

However, dear nCatLab's frequenters, what do you think about potential (∞,n)-categorical mathematics? About potential (∞,n)-topos on which we would potentially model some geometric object? About hypothetical (∞,n)-stacks? (∞,n)-operads? (∞,n)-algebras over (∞,n)-operads? And so on? What I'm talking about is the possibility of (∞,n)-algebra and (oo,n)-geometry. What do you think about it?

Could it be useful? Could it be interesting? Could it be possible? Could it have interesting connections with (∞,1)-categorical algebra and geometry? What potential does these "(∞,n)-mathematics" would have?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016

There’s plenty of information on the nLab, e.g., start at (infinity,n)-category.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorJohnCohn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016
    • (edited Dec 12th 2016)

There’s plenty of information on the nLab, e.g., start at (infinity,n)-category.

I’m sorry, it’s either you misunderstood me, or I’m misunderstanding you. For example, the article on (∞,n)-categories on nLab contains a great deal of technical information about constructions of (∞,n)-categories and such. There is little to none information about what I’ve asked: about (∞,n)-algebra and (∞,n)-geometry. The closest I could find is this:

While the subject is still young, visible at the horizon is its role in higher topos theory. Where (∞,1)-toposes regarded as (∞,1)-categories of (∞,1)-sheaves/∞-stacks are by now fairly well understood, it is clear that the (∞,2)-categories of (∞,2)-sheaves – such as the codomain fibration/self-indexing of an (∞,1)-topos – will form an (∞,2)-topos in generalization of the non-homotopic notion of 2-topos. And so on.

And I absolutely understand that there isn’t much to mention yet! As “the subject is still young”.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss and gather opinions on the matters. What do people think about possible (∞,n)-categorical algebra and geometry (subsuming topos theory)?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016

(,n)(\infty,n)-algebra should certainly exist and be interesting. I expect it to meld features of the fairly well-understood subjects of (,1)(\infty,1)-algebra and 2-algebra. For instance, an (,2)(\infty,2)-monad will have three (,2)(\infty,2)-categories of algebras and pseudo, lax, or colax morphisms, that can be assembled into enhanced (,2)(\infty,2)-categorical structures like “,F\infty,F-categories” and “\infty-double categories”. I don’t know of anyone who’s written any of this down yet; there may not be a whole lot of overlap between the people interested in (,1)(\infty,1)-algebra and 2-algebra. For n>2n\gt 2 there could in principle be “laxness at all dimensions”, but I don’t know whether to expect that to be interesting. Even just 3-algebra is not very well-developed.

For geometry the situation is rather murkier; even “2-geometry” and 2-toposes (meaning (2,2)(2,2)-toposes) are not very well-understood.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016

There are perhaps the beginning shoots of a combinatorial (,n)(\infty,n)-algebra in some ideas in rewriting theory. (I mean analogous to combinatorial group theory.) For example looking at presentations of monoidal categories in which the analogue of the free structures are in higher dimensions than in, say, the one or two dimensions that one might expect, so, for instance, there has to be an explicit interchanger and higher dimensional words involving that. There are some quite interesting complications that arise and this links with work on the homology and cohomology of monoids. My problem with this is to find ways of thinking about the higher algebra that results.