Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017
    • (edited Jan 30th 2017)

Why do you call two arrows f,gf,g with mutual lifting properties “orthogonal”?

Is there an immediate link between v,w=0\langle v,w\rangle=0 and fg={*}f\perp g = \{*\}, where ** is the unique element that lifts g:XYg : X \to Y on the right of f:ABf : A \to B in

A X B Y\begin{array}{ccc} A &\to& X\\ \downarrow&\nearrow&\downarrow\\ B &\to& Y \end{array}

?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017
    • (edited Jan 30th 2017)

That’s a good question. I don’t know an “official” answer, but here’s a thought: consider what we mean when we say an object XX is orthogonal to an arrow f:ABf: A \to B. It means XX “thinks” ff is an isomorphism in the sense that hom(f,X):hom(B,X)hom(A,X)\hom(f, X): \hom(B, X) \to \hom(A, X) is an isomorphism (i.e., as far as XX-probes or coprobes are concerned, ff is an iso). If we think of an isomorphism as a notion of sameness, then ff makes AA and BB look just the same as gauged by the instrument XX.

Now in elementary physics, say if we are measuring temperature by a thermometer XX, there are certain trajectories f:ABf: A \to B between points A,BA, B in space which exhibit sameness as gauged by XX, namely by traveling along isothermal lines. These are orthogonal to the “direction” of XX given by gradients (really the \perp here is a relation between tangent vectors which are infinitesimal ff and 1-forms dXd X, but hopefully you get the idea).

When you transport all this to the slice category over YY, you get the standard notion of an object g:XYg: X \to Y being orthogonal to an arrow ff in the slice.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2017

That’s a beautiful analogy. Mine was that lifting ff against gg is like pairing two vectors:

If v0v\neq 0 is a vector, then vw=v(w +w //)=vw //v\cdot w = v \cdot (w_\perp+w_{//}) = v \cdot w_{//} where w v w_\perp \in \langle v\rangle^\perp and w //w_{//} is the projection of ww along vv. So you factor every vector as something in the direction of vv and something “orthogonal”.

If f:XYf : X \to Y is a generic arrow in 𝒞\mathcal{C} then it factors as f:XAYf : X \to A \to Y, and you can “pair it” against other arrows.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Might be worth asking at the categories list to see if anyone knows.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Some time ago when I was working on a section of some monograph i asked myself exactly that question. The well known key result is:

A pair, (,)(\mathcal{L},\mathcal{R}), of classes of morphisms in a category, 𝒞\mathcal{C}, is a factorisation system if, and only if, the three conditions

• every morphism, f:XYf : X\to Y, admits a (,)(\mathcal{L},\mathcal{R})-factorisation, $XErY;X\xrightarrow{\ell}E\xrightarrow{r}Y;$

• the classes are closed under isomorphism;

• \mathcal{L}\perp\mathcal{R}.

are satisfied. (In fact, = \mathcal{L}=\,\!^\perp\mathcal{R} and = \mathcal{R}= \mathcal{L}^\perp.)

Looking at the last statement is reminiscent of the ‘orthogonal complement’ relationship between subspaces of an inner product space, and I think that that was how it was explained in some source that I was consulting. (I may even have found this on an nLab page or on Joyal’s pages.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorKarol Szumiło

I don’t know the history, but I guess I always interpreted it as Tim suggests. The analogy with orthogonal complements in a inner product space can be seen in some other ways too. For example, the factorization axiom is reminiscent of the fact the a subspace and its orthogonal complement together generate the ambient inner product space. Also, two classes of a factorization system intersect in isomorphisms, similarly to orthogonal complements in an inner product space intersecting at 00.