Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017

I wanted to understand Borel's Theorem better, so I wrote out a fairly explicit proof of the one-dimensional case.

1. Perhaps to a working analyst that argument looks natural, but to me it is extraordinary that anybody could come up with that!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017
    • (edited Feb 14th 2017)

Possible typo: should “H nx=0H_n x = 0” be “ϕ (ki)(H nx)=0\phi^{(k-i)}(H_n x)=0”?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have changed

[[falling power]]

to

[[falling factorial]]

which seems to be what was intended.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I myself usually call it a “falling power”, and I believe this is the term used by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik, so I added that terminology to falling factorial as well as a few redirects.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

I'm glad that we do have a page on the falling power after all. (To my mind, it's not so much a falling factorial as a partial factorial. Factorials are always falling, after all.)

Mike, thanks for catching the typo.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

I wasn’t aware of this result before; it surprised me somewhat!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017
    • (edited Feb 16th 2017)

This is a special case of a theorem that says when the restriction map C (M)C (K)C^\infty(M) \to C^\infty(K), for MM a manifold and appropriate closed subspaces KMK\subset M, is a submersion. For M= nM=\mathbb{R}^n one has the improved result that it is a split surjection of Fréchet spaces.

The theorem at hand considers K={0}=MK=\{0\}\subset \mathbb{R}=M, and by smooth functions on a point one has to consider Whitney jets, which reduce to a mere sequence of numbers, but in general need to satisfy the kind of error estimates that Taylor’s theorem gives.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

David, might you have a spare minute to add this kind of comment to the entry?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Feb 16th 2017)

Sure. I might be writing a short note about a small extension I have made (from Euclidean space, which is in the literature, to Riemannian manifolds of bounded geometry) at some point, so I should gather the relevant references etc before then :-)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I would have called it a shifted factorial, since the difference between it and k!k! is that it starts at xx rather than at kk.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Mike, yes, that also makes sense, especially when xx is not a natural number.

Of course, there's also the case when kk is negative; then it's a rising power and a shifted reciprocal factorial. (In particular, 1/k!=0 k̲1/k! = 0^{\underline{-k}}.)