Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorBartek
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2017)

In the nLab article on the universal enveloping algebra, the section describing the Hopf algebra structure originally stated that “the coproduct Δ:ULU(LL)ULUL\Delta: U L \to U(L \coprod L)\cong U L\otimes UL is induced by the diagonal map LLLL \to L \coprod L.”

I assume that this is a mistake, and I have since changed the coproduct \coprod to a product ×\times. However, I don’t know a great deal about Hopf algebras, so please correct me if I’ve made a mistake here.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017

In vector spaces finite sums and finite products are the same. Still, I think that viewing it as a direct sum is better here.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017
    • (edited Mar 24th 2017)

If we consider the enveloping as the quotient of the tensor algebra, recall that the tensor algebra is the infinite direct sum of tensor powers. Then (VW) n m=0 n(V mW (nm))(V\coprod W)^{\otimes n}\cong \coprod_{m=0}^n \left(V^{\otimes m}\otimes W^{\otimes (n-m)}\right) in the classical case.

n(VW) n nV n mW m \coprod_n (V\coprod W)^{\otimes n} \cong \coprod_n V^{\otimes n}\otimes \coprod_m W^{\otimes m}