Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2017)

I’ve finally knocked my scrappy notes for my IHES talk into shape, modulo the statement of Theorem 3; you can see the pdf notes here. I aimed for an informal tone, since these are not going to be published, but they are the only written record of this stuff, and it would take me longer, given my current time constraints, to write a full account.

Comments are most welcome.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Nice notes!

Since it is illegal to discuss good material on the nForum which is not reflected on the nLab, I have added pointer to them here.

p. 2, bottom: “beha[v]iour”

p. 3, what’s the purpose of footnote 6?

p. 9 bottom: “axiom [of] choice”

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks, Urs!

p. 3, what’s the purpose of footnote 6?

Not much, just a curiosity that at the time I thought was cool. I’ll take it out.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Alternatively, you could tell us what you had in mind (I wasn’t able to guess in the seconds I pondered it).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2017)

Hmm, I thought it was in the Elephant, then the Baby Elephant, and on looking I was forming the union of Exercises 1.1 and 1.2 in the latter. Ex 1.1 is the usual reduction of cartesian closed + … to finite limits plus power objects, and Ex 1.2 takes the ’finite limts + cartesian closed + subobject classifier Ω\Omega’ definition and reduces limits to finite products plus pullbacks of global elements of Ω\Omega.

Goldblatt in Exercise 4.7.3 has some vague assertion about ’pullbacks of appropriate pairs of arrows’ being enough to define a topos (together with finite products and power objects).

I guess in principle one could track down exactly which pullbacks are needed to get the usual theorems that get the longer definitions off the ground, but, as I said, it was just a curiosity. My point in the notes is that power objects get you a lot and so the continuum function is important to understand, but in the development I do need the longer definition, even using Heyting pretoposes with subobject classifiers.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Has that footnote been removed already? The current footnote 6 (still on page 3) doesn’t seem to justify the comments above.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Yes, I removed it.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Yes, it seems it’s been removed: the current 6 is the old 7. Roughly it was referring to centipede-like conditions on which types of finite limits you can assume in the power-object definition of topos and still get a topos.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Another typo: ‘combinarics’, page 5.

• CommentRowNumber10.

@Toby

I vaguely recall seeing someone claim that not all finite limits are needed, together with power objects, to get a topos. I was repeating this claim in a vague way, but now that I’m pressed I can’t find where I think I originally read it. It’s also not terribly illumination for the purposes of the notes.

Another typo

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber11.

And from the bottom of that page:

complete Boolean algeb[r]a

• CommentRowNumber12.

Thanks again. I really just wanted to get this off my chest in some form, and I hope the flow is coherent to the point that people are only nitpicking typos! (not to mention the loose end Theorem 3…)

• CommentRowNumber13.

I haven't gotten to Theorem 3, but I can follow it so far, and/but I don't know much about forcing.

On page 6, you hyphenate ‘Mo-erdijk’. You can put \hyphenation{moer-dijk} near the beginning of the document to fix this and other potential occurrences.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Ah, cool. That was irritating.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

For some reason I think I never made the connection before between the stuff forcing people do with “generic ultrafilters” and a topos-theoretic filterquotient. Is the former really just a special case of the latter? Isn’t there also some weird business about having to do the forcing inside a countable submodel so that a generic ultrafilter exists?

• CommentRowNumber16.

Yes, in a countable model one can appeal to the Rasiowa-Sikorski lemma so that the generic exists. But filterquotients work for more general setups. As for the existence of the appropriate filter, I once knew how it worked, but I can’t recall off the top of my head.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik

p. 6, “eq[u]ipped”