Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Hi,
    If x is an object of a category C, one usually says that x is if finite presentation (or compact) if for any direct filtered system (y_i) in C, the canonical map

f : colim_i Hom(x,y_i) -> Hom(x, colim y_i)

is bijective. One usually says x is of finite type if this holds only for direct filtered systems of monomophisms.

However, I am interested in objects x for which f is injective (without additional condition on the direct filtered system). It seems to me that, in the category of (right) modules over a ring, such objects are exactly finitely generated modules. My question is, has this been considered, and is there a name for this property of x?

Thanks in advance

Alain Bruguières
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017

I’ve usually heard “finitely generated” used to refer to the property you call “finite type”.

2. Well I thought it was called "finite type". And consequently, I was planning to call the other property (injectivity of f) "finitely generated". But if the name is already taken, I should probably exchange the terms. Fact is, I need both notions (the one with f bijective and monic filtered systems and the one with f injective). And in the category of modules, they coincide...
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2017

A little googling suggests that “finite type” may be more commonly used for ring homomorphisms, to distinguish finite generation as an algebra from finite generation as a module. If they mean essentially the same thing for modules, then it doesn’t seem like a good idea to me to arbitrarily decide to generalize them differently to the abstract context.

This might be a good question for mathoverflow, or the categories mailing list?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2017
    • (edited Apr 25th 2017)

A ring map of finite type means the codomain is finitely generated as an algebra over the domain, though… http://stacks.math.columbia.edu/tag/00F3