Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjesse
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

I’ve started filling out elimination of quantifiers, adding some initial remarks and sketching the usual proof that algebraically closed fields eliminate quantifiers.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017

That’s great – keep those model theory articles coming! This is one area that could use beefing up within the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Jesse.

I have added a pointer to the entry from Quantifiers – Related concepts.

With every entry you create, it is good practice to think about which entries should link to it. This increases the chance that the entry will be found by people who, necessarily, don’t a priori know that it exists.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjesse

That’s a good idea (case in point, I didn’t even know that general page on quantification existed).

In keeping with your suggestion, I added a brief remark to the Idea section about how QE helps prove decidability (mentioning Tarski’s theorem that real closed fields are decidable), and cross-linked quantifier elimination with decidability via their Related Concepts sections.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorjesse
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017
    • (edited May 27th 2017)

Towards proving the useful QE-criterion (currently Theorem 4.2 at quantifier elimination), I created substructure complete theory and proved there the semantic equivalent characterization of quantifier elimination that “T eliminates quantifiers iff T is substructure complete”.

The remaining thing to do is show that if you weaken “substructure complete” to “model complete”, then to recover the above equivalence you need to additionally assume that Mod(T)\mathbf{Mod}(T) has certain kinds of weak pushouts. After that the QE-criterion follows easily.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

What does “infinite vector space” mean there? Just that the field is infinite? It doesn’t sound like you mean infinite-dimensional.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorjesse

@David_Corfield, it means “infinite dimensional if the field is finite, any dimension if the field is infinite.” (Equivalently, just that the underlying set is infinite.)

Strictly speaking, finite-dimensional vector spaces over finite fields also have quantifier elimination, but—I should have written this somewhere—all the theory that’s being developed on the page only applies to infinite models.

It turns out that substructure completeness is still an equivalent characterization for quantifier elimination in finite structures, but combined with the fact that elementarily equivalent finite structures are isomorphic, this usually appears as the statement “finite structures eliminate quantifiers iff they are ultrahomogeneous” (i.e. any isomorphism of substructures extends to an automorphism, which is one of the defining properties of a Fraisse limit, which tend to eliminate quantifiers.)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017

Thanks, but I’m still missing something. Say we take 𝔽\mathbb{F} as finite. What does it mean to be “working with the theory of an infinite vector space” when considering vector spaces of the form 𝔽 n\mathbb{F}^n?

For example, suppose we’re working with the theory of an infinite vector space over a fixed field 𝔽\mathbb{F}. Let AA be a linear transformation 𝔽 n+1𝔽 m\mathbb{F}^{n+1} \to \mathbb{F}^m

Oh, are you allowing nn and mm to be infinite ordinals?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorjesse
    • (edited May 27th 2017)

Oh, I see. There I meant to consider 𝔽\mathbb{F} as a vector space over itself and for nn and mm to be integers, so for the entire statement to be consistent (and to still be working in ordinary finitary first-order logic), 𝔽\mathbb{F} would have to infinite.

Now that you’ve pointed this out, I think it might be best to remove the instances of “infinite” from the Idea section and then incorporate the comments from #7 into the Remarks.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorjesse
    • (edited May 27th 2017)

Done!

This wouldn’t be the same as just replacing nn and mm above with infinite ordinals, but you’re right that we could also circumvent this by starting off with the vector space 𝔽 ω\mathbb{F}^{\omega} and then working with a definable linear transformation A:(𝔽 ω) n+1(𝔽 ω) mA : \left(\mathbb{F}^{\omega}\right)^{n+1} \to \left(\mathbb{F}^{\omega}\right)^{m}. Since to do this you end up (after specifying a basis) specifying an m×(n+1) m \times (n + 1) matrix AA over 𝔽\mathbb{F} anyways, this is an “interpretation” of the case where we started with 𝔽\mathbb{F} over itself, all inside 𝔽 ω.\mathbb{F}^\omega. (Scare quotes because we can only nail down an actual interpretation up to symmetries given by moving bases around, which are all indistiguishable to the model.)

Which is neat, because it’s like an 𝔽\mathbb{F}-linear version of the usual trick of studying finite structures by interpreting them as finite imaginary sorts inside infinite structures (e.g. the theory of an equivalence relation with NN infinite classes on an infinite set).

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorjesse

I wrote down the proof that model completeness + amalgamation implies substructure completeness and then (finally) sketched the proof of the QE-criterion at quantifier elimination.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Great. Thanks, Jesse. I don’t know what it is about model theory, but I never feel quite at home there.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorjesse

I still feel that way sometimes!

(Conversely, many model theorists are allergic to the nnPOV, and more broadly to categories in general.)