Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive constructive-mathematics cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundations functional-analysis functor galois-theory gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry goodwillie-calculus graph graphs gravity group-theory higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration-theory k-theory kan lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic manifolds mathematics measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology newpage nonassociative noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017
    • (edited May 15th 2017)

The Instiki-to-LaTeX conversion that is built into the nnLab (via the button “TeX” at the bottom of each page), used to produce LaTeX code that didn’t compile on most pages. (It’s years ago that I looked into this.)

But, if I recall properly, the (only) problem seems to have been our use of the “\array” environment to do diagrams. I forget what exactly the issue was or is, but I seem to remember it was one isolated little sticking point.

Might anyone here have the ambition to track this down and, if necessary, write a little script that fixes the LaTeX output produced by the nLab, not for beauty, but just so that it compiles at all?

We should test on some semi-simple page such as, say, stabilizer group, which has a couple of simple diagrams in it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    I was trying to do that by hand the other day. It seems we need to take something like

$$
    \array{
    Stab_G(x) &\to& *
    \\
    \downarrow && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{x}}
    \\
    * &\stackrel{x}{\to}& X/G
    }
    $$

and replace it with

$$
    \begin{array}{c c c}
    Stab_G(x) &\to& *
    \\
    \downarrow && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{x}}
    \\
    * &\stackrel{x}{\to}& X/G
    \end{array}

$$

But I don't know anything about writing scripts. It would have to count the numbers of &s to know the width?
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I was suspecting it might be something simple like this. That would be good.

I believe there are people reading here for whom writing a script that does this should be a matter of five minutes. Is that right?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • (edited May 15th 2017)

in 15 minutes, here’s a perl script:

my $inarray = 0;
    my $accum = "";
    while (<>) {
        if(! $inarray) {
        if(/\\array\{/) {
        print $`;
        $inarray = 1;
        $accum = $';
        } else {
        print $_;
        }
        } else {
        $accum .= $_;
        }
        if ($inarray) {
        if ($accum =~ /\\\\/) {
        my @amps = ($accum =~ /&/gs);
        my $namps = (scalar @amps) + 1;
        print '\\nlabarray{', ('c' x $namps), '}{', $accum;
        $inarray = 0;
        $accum = "";
        }
        }
    }

It assumes the first line of the array is the longest one, and it doesn’t switch from a command to an environment (that would require parsing matched braces), so you need to add something like

\newcommand{\nlabarray}[2]{\begin{array}{#1}#2\end{array}}

in the preamble.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017
    • (edited May 16th 2017)

Thanks, Mike. I still need to fiddle around with this. Did you try to run the script on some example, such as, say, the LaTeX code here: ncatlab.org/nlab/tex/stabilizer+group? Does the result compile?

• CommentRowNumber6.

No, my 15 minutes were up. (-:

• CommentRowNumber7.

What exactly is the problem again? That latex compiles for me without any modification.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017

@Mike,

Urs plans to extract compilable LaTeX from much longer pages he’s written.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 17th 2017)

That latex compiles for me without any modification.

Oh, does it?

On my system I get stuck with installing the required packages. Maybe my package manager is broken. I have installed a bunch by hand now, but don’t find “13bootstrap.sty”.

extract compilable LaTeX from much longer pages he’s written.

While I am struggling with installing packages, does the LaTeX of these long pages compile on your system?

• CommentRowNumber10.

While I am struggling with installing packages, does the LaTeX of these long pages compile on your system?

Examples?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I managed to compile the tex-output for “stabilizer subgroup”.

I see, the diagrams do come out. But other things do not. All hyperlinked keywords appear with their double square brackets and the included files are not included. Worse, hyperlinks coded as

[[page name|link text]]

get printed out as

[[page name -- link text]]

And I suppose the section and prop-numbering which we added by css is missing.

When trying to compile the tex-output ncatlab.org/nlab/tex/Introduction+to+Homotopy+Theory all I get is the error message claiming that “\begin{document}” is missing (it’s not missing in the source, but apparently some code before that doesn’t parse properly)

So I went for something a little smaller: when I try ncatlab.org/nlab/tex/classical+model+structure+on+topological+spaces I also get no output, now the error is “no legal \end found”.

Ah well.

• CommentRowNumber13.

When I try ncatlab.org/nlab/tex/Introduction+to+Homotopy+Theory I get an error about the command \b being valid only in math mode. I don’t know why there is a \b in the source, shouldn’t it just be b?

Similarly, with ncatlab.org/nlab/tex/classical+model+structure+on+topological+spaces I get an error about an undefined command \W, which also seems like it should just be a W in the source.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Mike.

I suppose in any case the Instiki-to-TeX functionality is not really usable.

That’s what I used to think all along The reason that I have come back to this is that I recently I have offered “Introduction to Stable Homotopy Theory” to AMS and to CUP for publication.

From AMS I had gotten the reaction that while they believe that they have IT experts who could write a script to turn the Instiki source into sensible LaTeX, these experts cannot be bothered with this before referees have recommended the manuscript, and the referees, I was told, could not be bothered with reading the pages in their nLab form.

There was no such fuss with CUP, apparently they have contacted referees right away. But nevertheless I was wondering again just how far we are from turning nLab pages into sensible LaTeX code.

• CommentRowNumber15.

It is a shame. Someone who knows more about the instiki internals than I do ought to be able to improve the script significantly, by fixing the link problem at least.