Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017
    • (edited May 24th 2017)

at vector bundle I have spelled out the proof that for XX paracompact Hausdorff then the restrictions of vector bundles over X×[0,1]X \times [0,1] to X×{0}X \times \{0\} and X×{1}X \times \{1\} are isomorphic.

It’s just following Hatcher, but I wanted to give full detail to the argument of what is now this lemma.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

You didn’t want to give the argument for numerable bundles on arbitrary spaces? The proof is exactly the same.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sorry, which statement are your referring to? The only place where I assumed something extra, namely paracompact Hausdorff, is this prop. For the proof of that I seem to need a partition of unity, no?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017
    • (edited May 25th 2017)

The statement in #1 generalises from arbitrary vector bundles on paracompact spaces to numerable bundles on arbitrary spaces. The proof uses the so-called stacking lemma, which is in Dold’s Algebraic Topology, section A.2. Numerable bundles are those that trivialise over an open cover with a subordinate partition of unity (so all bundles when on a paracompact space).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. So I was headed for the discussion of the classifying space, where I need all bundles. But feel invited to add this remark.

If you do so, notice that I am splitting off the material on toopological vector bundles from the main entry “vector bundle” to topological vector bundle. More on this in the next comment.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 25th 2017)

I have expanded the Idea-section at vector bundle a fair bit.

Then, in view of the recent disussion with Todd, I am splitting off an entry topological vector bunde for discussion of the standard topological stuff (no sheaf semantics etc.).

I moved over the corresponding material on Definition and properties. Then I polished the definition material at topological vector bundle, or at least two thirds of it. Need to interrupt for a moment.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Is there anywhere in QFT where vector bundles over some space MM which are Frobenius objects have some particular interpretation? I guess one could consider a non-extended 2d TQFT with target category the vector bundles over MM, but I wonder if these have a more natural interpretation anywhere else.