Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJon_Phillips
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    • (edited Feb 19th 2010)
    Edit: It was parsing my &'s. Fixed.

When I try to view any nlab page from my home computer, I get an error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Line Number 11, Column 62: <script src="/javascripts/page_helper.js?1266048029&amp;sfgdata=+sfgRmluamFuX1R5cGU9amF2YV9zY3JpcHQmRmluamFuX0xhbmc9dGV4dC9qYXZhc2NyaXB0+a" type="text/javascript"></script>
    -------------------------------------------------------------^

(the little arrow points at the '=' after sfgdata).

This, rather oddly <a href="http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-800774-highlight-.html">seems to effect only me</a> (I can't remember if I was the one who voted 'no' in that poll or not).

Recently the same problem has surfaced on work computers, so I thought I'd ask about it. It seems to work if I replace the ampersands within a <script> tag with &amp;amp;
    eg in the above example:

<script src="/javascripts/page_helper.js?1266048029&amp;amp;sfgdata=+sfgRmluamFuX1R5cGU9amF2YV9zY3JpcHQmRmluamFuX0xhbmc9dGV4dC9qYXZhc2NyaXB0+a" type="text/javascript"></script>

This has to be done on lines 11 and 132-136. No idea if that would then break things for other people though.

Is it possible for that to be fixed?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

What browser are you using?

I've not heard of that error before. nLab pages don't quite validate according to the strictest interpretation of the XHTML+MathML+SVG code, but that's due to something a little daft in the SVG part of the specification. None of the validation errors are to do with what you mention.

(I was quite impressed that there's a poll somewhere about the nLab! Less impressed when I saw the number of people who voted ...)

For the record, I'm using Firefox 3.5.7 on Linux.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    Yeh, having another look at validation it doesn't seem to be your end. I thought it was.

At the moment at home I'm using firefox 3.5.6 on gentoo linux, and I'm not certain about work. One of the computers has the standard fedora 10 one (I think it's 3.0.5) and I don't know about the windows machines.

The really odd thing is that it only just started happening at work, and I swear that fedora doesn't properly update packages unless there's a version number bump. If I view the source I can see that it's definitely not some error page I've been given by a big bad network admin either - I'm getting the actual nlab page.

When I first saw the problem I was using pre-ff 3.5 though, so I'm suspicious that something else may be causing the problem.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. Okay, was talking to the admin at work, and he suggested that perhaps the validation wasn't checking everything. I thought this was a silly idea but checked anyway.<br /><br />In the xml 1.0 spec it says<br /><br /><blockquote >The ampersand character (&amp;) and the left angle bracket (&lt;) MUST NOT appear in their literal form, except when used as markup delimiters, or within a comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are needed elsewhere, they MUST be escaped using either numeric character references or the strings " &amp;amp; " and " &amp;lt; " respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string " &amp;gt; ", and MUST, for compatibility, be escaped using either " &amp;gt; " or a character reference when it appears in the string " ]]> " in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section.</blockquote><br /><br />Those instances clearly aren't within a comment or a CDATA section, and it looks like processing instructions are <a href="http://www.javacommerce.com/displaypage.jsp?name=pi.sql&amp;id=18238" >something wierd</a>.<br /><br />So it looks like it is invalid. I think.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

I've just looked at the page source and I don't see what you see. I see:

<script src="/javascripts/page_helper.js?1266480024" type="text/javascript"></script>

and similarly in the other place that you mention. Try clearing your cache and trying again.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    Thank you very much! I can only assume my university network is inserting code into the page or something, as clearing the cache doesn't help, and I'm in halls, so have roughly the same network at home and at work.
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010

The maintainer of Instiki assures me that the garbage is not produced by Instiki. He further suggests that it is produced by a proxy and that it is the proxy that is broken, not instiki! It may be that the proxy inserts it wherever it sees a link for some internal reason, but that it does so in a non-XML-compatible way. Of course, with most sites that doesn't matter since most sites are just tag soup. But for the rare website that actually serves proper XHTML, result: misery.

"in halls" sounds British, so I'm sure you'll appreciate the quote: "We apologise for the inconvenience" but in this case I can complete it with: "but it's not our fault"!

I hope you get it working. In the meantime, if you're able to hack a bit of javascript, you could try writing a greasemonkey script to take out the nasty string again.