Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2017

differential cohesive (infinity,1)-topos says

where i !i_! is a full and faithful and preserves finite products.

Equivalently this means that (i !i *):H thH(i_! \dashv i^\ast) \colon \mathbf{H}_{th} \longrightarrow \mathbf{H} is a local geometric morphism with a further right adjoint to the right adjoint to the direct image.

But for (i !i *)(i_! \dashv i^\ast) to be a geometric morphism, i !i_! would need to preserve all finite limits?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017
    • (edited Jun 2nd 2017)

If we write p !p *p *p !p_! \dashv p^* \dashv p_* \dashv p^! for the adjoint string exhibiting cohesion of H\mathbf{H}, then the composite adjunction (i *p *,p *i !):H thGpd(i_* p^*, p_* i^!) : H_{th} \to \infty Gpd is a geometric morphism, hence the unique global sections geometric morphism. If i !i_! were left exact, then the composite adjunction (i !p *,p *i *):H thGpd(i_! p^*, p_* i^*): H_{th} \to \infty Gpd would also be a geometric morphism, hence also the unique global sections geometric morphism, and so we would have p *i !=p *i *p_* i^! = p_* i^* and i !p *=i *p *i_! p^* = i_* p^*. The first would mean that the global sections of the infinitesimal shape and flat of something coincide (internally, something like X=🙰X\sharp\Im X = \sharp 🙰X), and the second would mean that the reduced and coreduced versions of a discrete object coincide (internally, something like X=X\Re\flat X = \Im\flat X). I’m guessing this is not the case in general, but I don’t have any intuition for why not. How can discrete cohesion determine nonconstant infinitesimal directions?

• CommentRowNumber3.

I guess related to this is the question of how the notions of “discrete” and “codiscrete”, and their associated modalities, are related in H\mathbf{H} and H th\mathbf{H}_{th}. Since (i *p *,p *i !)(i_* p^*, p_* i^!) is the global sections of H th\mathbf{H}_{th}, it follows that the \flat of H th\mathbf{H}_{th} is i *p *p *i !i_* p^* p_* i^!, which is the \flat of H\mathbf{H} bracketed by infinitesimal flat and coreduction. But the only manifestation I see in H th\mathbf{H}_{th} of the \sharp of H\mathbf{H} is the monad i *p !p *i *i_* p^! p_* i^*, which I think is right adjoint to \Re \flat\Im on H th\mathbf{H}_{th}, but which I don’t see any way to express in terms of the six modalities ʃ,,,,,&ʃ,\flat,\sharp,\Re,\Im,\& of H th\mathbf{H}_{th} (since none of them involve p !p^!). And the \sharp of H th\mathbf{H}_{th} doesn’t seem to be related to H\mathbf{H} at all. (This is sort of a relaying of a question from Max New, with my own musings around it.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 2nd 2017)

Thanks, Mike.

re #1: Right, that’s an edit mistake. It puzzled me for a moment how I could have written such a blatant nonsense, but looking at the logs, here is what happened:

Originally in rev 1 on Apr 13 2011 I had just required that i !i_! preserves the terminal object.

Then in rev 49 on Dec 20 2013 something made me go and add to what had used to be "i !i_! preserves the terminal object" the clause "… and is in fact left exact". And so I also added that comment saying that this means that it is the left adjoint of a local geometric morphism.

Then in rev 73 on Jan 6 2015 I removed that clause again and settled for "i !i_! preserves finite products" But, as the records show, I forgot to also remove this extra remark, which by that further edit had become obsolete and in fact nonsensical.

I have removed it now. Thanks for catching this.

Regarding #3:

That’s right, I have not considered integrating the sharp on H\mathbf{H} into the axiomatics in terms of endofunctors on H th\mathbf{H}_{th}.

It’s great that you are looking into this now. You’ll probably discover various improvements.

For other readers: we are talking about this diagram:

i ! p ! i * Δ: Grpd p * H i * H th p * i ! p ! \array{ & && &\overset{i_!}{\hookrightarrow}& \\ & &\overset{p_!}{\longleftarrow}& &\overset{i^\ast}{\longleftarrow}& \\ \Delta \colon & \infty Grpd &\overset{p^\ast}{\hookrightarrow}& \mathbf{H} &\overset{i_\ast}{\hookrightarrow}& \mathbf{H}_{th} \\ & &\overset{p_\ast}{\longleftarrow}& &\overset{i^!}{\longleftarrow}& \\ & &\overset{p^!}{\hookrightarrow}& }
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017

I added a line to Reduction Modality to say that \Re preserves finite products.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017

So what about the composite i !p *i_! p^*; is that left exact? Equivalently, does i !p *=i *p *i_! p^* = i_* p^* and p *i *=p *i !p_*i^* = p_* i^!?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

Yes.

i *p *=Δi_\ast p^\ast = \Delta takes an \infty-groupoid XX to the stack constant on XX and since Xlim X*X \simeq \underset{\longrightarrow}{\lim}_X \ast and since i !(*)*i_!(\ast) \simeq \ast the same is true for i !p *i_! p^\ast.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

Ah, I see. More abstractly, i *p *i_* p^* and i !p *i_! p^* are both cocontinuous since they are left adjoints, and both preserve the terminal object, but Gpd\infty Gpd is the free cocompletion of its terminal object, so i *p *=i !p *i_* p^* = i_! p^*. Presumably if Gpd\infty Gpd is replaced by some arbitrary base (,1)(\infty,1)-topos, then an analogous argument would work as long as all the adjunctions are indexed over that base. Thanks!