Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

I have started an entry on the decalage functor.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

Your link to homotopy n-type made me edit that entry a little: I removed John Baez's query box asking what a "homotopy type" is, and instead added a very first sentence to the entry intended to make the connection with the entry homotopy type clear.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I fixed a typo.

Might I suggest 'truncated' rather than 'coarsened' which is a term I tend to avoid? Just as one might extract a fundamental group (1-type) from a homotopy type one can try to extract a model for the 2-type, etc. with difficulties of course as this will be up to equivalence. I think of the n-type as encoding a certain amount of (more usable) information about the homotopy type of the object, and `coarsened' suggests a different relationship. I seem to remember that the entry does make the point about the use of the term to mean a homotopy type having no non-trivial info above dimension n, which is another valuable insight.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I added two references which in memory are relevant (somebody could look into to check my reasoning).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, "truncated" is better.

• CommentRowNumber6.

I have added two other early uses of the idea, Illusie and Duskin. (I need to check out Duskin as there are some neat facts about augmented simplicial sets and decalage in it. I have a version in the notes but must see what might go in the Lab entry.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    I added a section to this article: decalage comonad.
    • CommentRowNumber8.

Good I was going to do just that and to mention how augmented simplicial sets were ... and I forget what! I was going to look it up.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Todd, you forgot to sign it!!

• CommentRowNumber10.

That was not quite what I was going to do. I was going to describe the TOTAL dec functor and then its link with ordinal sum. (I should do that!)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    Sorry, I don't get it. Sign it?
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Todd, it seems to me like your last edits appeared signed with the user name "Anonymous Coward". That's the default user name that appears when you don't enter one.

When you hit "submit" on any entry, there is a field where you can enter your name, as I am sure you know.

You probably changed computers and the new one doesn't have the cookie yet that remembers your nLab name.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    That must be it, although I thought I had signed in. Yes, right now I am using a computer not my own.
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

I have added a brief mention of Total Decalage. This will need a new entry later on.