Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017
    • (edited Jul 21st 2017)

Reading back through HTT (Hi by the way), and going back over the straightening construction. Proposition 2.2.1.1 states that some properties are obvious. They don’t appear to be obvious.

First, recall the situation: We have XSX \to S a map of simplicial sets, a simplicial functor ϕ:C[S]C op\phi:C[S] \to C^{op} for a simplicially-enriched category CC, and we define

M X,ϕ=C[X ] C[X]C opM_{X,\phi} = C[X^\triangleright] \coprod_{C[X]} C^{op}

Then we define Str ϕ(X):sSet/XsSet CStr_{\phi} (X) : sSet/X \to sSet^C by the formula Str ϕX(C)=Map M X,ϕ(C,p)Str_{\phi}X(C) = Map_{M_{X,\phi}}( C , p ), where pp is the adjoined cone point.

2.2.1.1 states that given a simplicial functor π:CC\pi: C \to C', there is a natural isomorphism between π !Str ϕ(X)\pi_! Str_{\phi}(X) and Str π opϕ(X)Str_{\pi^{op} \circ \phi}(X) where π !\pi_! is left adjoint to the pullback π *\pi^* induced by π\pi on the simplicial categories of simplicial op-presheaves.

There is an obvious morphism in one direction arising from the pushout and the fact that the cone point is pushed out again to a cone point:

M X,ϕ(,p)π *M X,π opϕ(,p)M_{X,\phi}(-,p) \to \pi^* M_{X, \pi^{op} \circ \phi} ( - , p)

It seems like morally everything should work because M X,π opϕM_{X,\pi^{\op} \circ \phi} is a pushout, and the π !\pi_! should mean pushing forward that mapping object by change of base, but I’m stuck.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Welcome back, Harry!

• CommentRowNumber3.

Good to be back I guess. I have a grad school interview in two weeks; let’s hope it goes alright.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2017

Sorry to not have any mathematical comments on your question

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Did you notice that Emily just blogged about a generalization of the straightening/unstraightening construction?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Jul 22nd 2017)

No, complete fluke. I picked HTT back up as a refresher for the interview haha, also going through atiyah-macdonald, lang, hartshorne, and I even cracked open ETCS for an hour.

I’ll check that out. I think Lurie did a pretty mediocre job of actually working out all of these proofs in HTT, but it was until now the only place where straightening/unstraightening was proven.

I am still interested in the answer. I spent a while trying to find the inverse of that map and trying to unravel the shriek functor to no avail.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017

Ahahahaha I found it. I remembered asking this question years ago, and I thought I remembered Urs answering it.

Here we go.

https://nforum.ncatlab.org/discussion/2442/fully-formal-proof-of-htt-proposition-2211/

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    • (edited Jul 26th 2017)

I guess I’m going to run headlong into another proof later on which is the one that Urs gave involving another weird cone construction.

Edit: Found all of my old topics for the nasty bits of chapter 2.

I might compile them into a little companion guide for HTT.