Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017
    • (edited Sep 1st 2017)

I’ve added the section relation#the_quasitopos_of_endorelations

I was unsure whether to add this to relation or Quiv and somewhere we should explicitly give the subobject classifier of Quiv.

Do people dislike my terminology or approach? Does EndoRelEndoRel have slick sub categories?

Does it need a translation such as found at quality type#quality_types_as_localizations example 4.3

Let Bin\mathbf{Bin} be the category of sets equipped with a binary relation i.e. objects are pairs (X,ρ)(X,\rho) with XX a set and ρ\rho a binary relation on XX and morphims (X 1,ρ 1)(X 2,ρ 2)(X_1,\rho_1)\to (X_2,\rho_2) are functions f:X 1X 2f:X_1\to X_2 such that xρ 1yx\rho_1 y implies f(x)ρ 2f(y)f(x)\rho_2 f(y). This is the same as the category of simple directed graphs hence a quasitopos since it corresponds to the separated objects for the double negation topology on the directed graphs.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017

I think it’s fine, but it should be cross-linked more (btw the same observation has also been made at quasitopos). I can add the description of the subobject classifier of QuivQuiv at Quiv if this is desired (it’s not a hard calculation).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017

So I added a bit to Quiv, including a rough picture of its subobject classifier.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017

I’ve added the tag endorel so that one can more easily reference the category EndoRelEndoRel as relation#endorel.

I’ve also added the sub sub section relation#relation_closures_as_reflexive_subcategories_of_.

Do relation closures give not just reflective categories but also quasitoposes? E.g. is PreOrd a quasitopos? It might take a while if I have to work this out for myself.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2017

PreOrd is not a quasitopos. (For example, it’s not a regular category.) But the category of sets and reflexive relations is a quasitopos, and ditto for symmetric relations and reflexive symmetric relations. I think all these examples are given at quasitopos.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017
    • (edited Sep 6th 2017)

in relation#relation_closures_as_reflexive_subcategories_of_

I tweeked and enlarged some wordings, characterized some closure categories and linked to quasitopos#exampsep.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

By the way, whenever I explicitly point to a subsection in an entry, I first give it an explicit anchor name. For two reasons:

1. It avoids unpleasant cases of the automatically generated anchor names, as in the present case.

2. (more importantly) it is more robust: Because if at any point in the future anyone decides to give the section an explicit anchor name, then the previous automatically generated anchor name will no longer work.

So in the present case I would have first expanded the line

#### Relation closures as reflexive subcategories of $EndoRel$

to something like

#### Relation closures as reflexive subcategories of $EndoRel$ {#RelationClosuresAsReflexiveSubcategoriesofEndoRel}

and then pointed from here to

relation#RelationClosuresAsReflexiveSubcategoriesofEndoRel

• CommentRowNumber8.

Urs - I do put in explicit tags if I want to link from some page of the nLab. E.g. relation#endorel.

However for directing attention to some section in an nLab discussion, I just rely on the automatically generated ids. Editing in a tag and creating a new version just for nForum discussion might be over kill. Most discussions here usually link just the page name. Sure the auto ids might change in the future but that won’t cause a big problem in old nForum entries.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, good. Just thought I’d highlight the issue. Great to hear that you are already doing this!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It’s definitely happened to me that I come back to an old nForum post and want to follow a link that has since broken because of a change.