Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorLarryB
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017
    I would like to start a page on descriptive complexity. Complexity theory is an area of research in computer science that aims to determine the amount of resources (time and space usually) that an algorithm needs to decide a problem. Descriptive complexity is a branch of complexity theory that uses finite model theory (first-order, second-order, and some in-between operators) to describe the problems. It turns out that these languages directly corresponds to known complexity classes.

My aim is to translate the logic used into an equivalent topos theory of finite logic, or even do away with logic altogether and directly map complexity classes with a corresponding category. The goal of this is to reframe questions in complexity theory as questions in category theory.

For example: we can describe the existential second order quantifier as the left adjoint of the diagonal functor (context extension?) from $P(P(X)) \to P(P(X))\times P(P(X))$. I'm not sure whether $X$ is the ccc with all the propositional formulas, or if it's the finite model. I'm still learning.

Would it be appropriate to add to the nLab? I'm autodidactic with category theory, so I'm not sure if I can accurately describe things, but I'd still like a space to share my ideas.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017

Would it be appropriate to add to the nLab?

It sounds good. You should start somewhere and then we can give more substantial feedback.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2017

So Larry began descriptive complexity. We generally put in links to pages for concepts mentioned, e.g., I’ve put one in for your opening complexity theory. Of course that latter page needs enormous expansion, but at the very least could have your opening sentence.

Also you can use bold font to emphasise the new concept, as I’ve just done.

Looking about the nForum, there was a brief discussion of category theory and complexity theory here and geometric complexity theory here.

• Noson S. Yanofsky, Computability and complexity of categorical structures, arXiv:1507.05305

might be worth a look.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017

I have hyperlinked yet more keywords.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017

Just a note to Larry that it is customary at the nLab to leave a note at the nForum if pages are created or edited, except in minor cases like fixing typos. Thanks for starting this!