Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

A lab elf kindly pointed out that the symbols {:toc} inserted into an entry will magically automatically make a table of contents of that page appear there.

I am trying this at bordism categories following Stolz-Teichner . It did work for a moment. Now it doesn't anymore. I must have changed something sensitive, but I don't know what!

Does anyone have an idea?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <p>Jon Awbry kindly provided help with this. He notices that typing not just</p> <blockquote> {:toc} </blockquote> <p>but</p> <blockquote> * tic {:toc} </blockquote> <p>does produce the desired result. Strange, though. Why does that hack work?</p> <p>Of course I mainly care that it does workat all, but would still be interested. Anyway, this automatic TOC is a very useful thing. We should start adding it to all entries that are a bit longer.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

RTM

The table of contents works by assigning a special style to a list. It replaces said list by the table of contents (which is why the text of that list doesn't matter) but it needs a list to work. Why the writer of Maruku chose to do it that way is a question that only they can answer. I can speculate, but as I don't know then it's fairly pointless.

The point, such as there is, is that writing * tic {:toc} is not a hack but is how it is supposed to work.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks Andrew!

Is that manual already linked to from somewhere around here? I wasn't aware of that.

• CommentRowNumber5.

It's on the same page as where the link 'extended syntax' on the edit page links to. Admittedly not everything on that page works (specifically, the meta data doesn't seem to as it affects things outside the body of the page) but the table of contents does. I came across it while looking up some syntax for my own installation of instiki and had a vague memory of someone asking about tables of contents on the n-lab.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Okay, thanks. Yes, in the early days we several times discusssed how nice it would be to have automatica TOCs. i had no ideas that we already did have them available!

• CommentRowNumber7.

Copied from 'latest changes' regarding category of fibrant objects:

The length limit is really long now, about 500 million characters. If we get that long we should contact the Guinness book of records. The problem was actually due to having a wiki-link in one of the headings. Oddly enough, there was no error message on this in the logs but changing it solved the problem (it now says “see also fibration sequence” after the heading). I imagine it’s to do with the fact that things in the table of contents are links to the sections in the document so having a wiki-link would mean that one thing (the entry in the table of contents) was a link to two places (the section and the page the wiki-link points to). As the Maruku filter is independent of the wiki, it doesn’t know of wiki-links and so doesn’t know how to handle them.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!!