Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2018

Someone called Hammad Rana has created the stub Surreal geometry and the more substantial (but… odd) Surreal space. The latter claims to look at vector spaces over the surreal numbers and relate them to other things.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018

Thanks for the heads-up. I can’t tell immediately whether there is anything to be worried about; the writing is idiosyncratic, but not obviously wrong (to me), and it at least cites an arxiv paper by someone who isn’t Hammad Rana. What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber3.

I don’t know about the ’genetic’ stuff, but I don’t think Vect Vect_\mathbb{R} is a subcategory of Vect 𝕊Vect_\mathbb{S}. That’s not how modules work.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Jan 13th 2018)

Statements like these (from various parts of the page) don’t give me confidence

The sheaf cohomology on a surreal space is equivalent to a motivic cohomology of real algebraic cycles

we can say that for a drawn line of surreal numbers we have that it is in a sense a projective line

A surreal space is a topos over the reals.

At one point the author says that

Surreal space (denoted as S n\mathbf{S}^n) can be seen as a topologically enriched category of a real space m\mathbb{R}^m

and then claims that SurSur (this category) is a vector space over the reals and later says

This connection leads us to seeing that the asymptotic collection of real-valued functions is contained within obj(Sur)obj(Sur)

It’s all rather strange, I don’t know what to make of it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

To me it reads as “not even wrong”: the language in places (e.g., those pointed out by David) doesn’t make sense. I don’t think we should spend much time on this, or try to nurse such entries into proper shape. That hasn’t worked out too well in the past.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Okay, I didn’t read it carefully enough at first. Shall we just delete it then?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, let’s clear the page and leave a message. Something like

Please don’t continue editing. If you insist on discussing your ideas here, you can do so on the nForum, where regulars can give feedback and guidance. But we suggest that you try to take this discussion to another, more suitable forum. The Steering Committee.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I agree with Urs’ suggestion.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018

Ok, I changed Surreal space and Surreal geometry to a version of Urs’s suggested message.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorhammadrana
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2018
    • (edited Jan 16th 2018)
    Hello, I am Hammad Rana. First disclaimer is I am not a properly trained mathematician. I am still in high school and the page was far from being complete. I apologize for the violation of rules I made.

The concept at hand was a connection I was trying to make between surreal numbers and algebraic geometry, a concept I had been interested in for a long time. I am not formally trained at all and my knowledge of the subjects, while notable for my age, is amateur at best.

The reason I chose nlab since it was a way to keep up with my research since I found it difficult writing in Latex editors and this seemed simple in comparison. I also did not want to forget connections I was making that were present in my head. Basically I treated that page as a whiteboard/notebook.

Anyways I apologize for the misunderstanding and I would hope to better for the future to make my understanding of how nlab works and how mathematics functions in general. One of the major complaints I have about myself is that I am not understanding precisely everything I read in mathematics despite showing interest.

Regards,