Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIngoBlechschmidt
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2018
    • (edited Jan 29th 2018)

Over at coverage, we write:

Any presheaf which is a sheaf for a family {f i:U iU} iI\{f_i:U_i\to U\}_{i\in I} and also for some family {h ij:U ijU i} jJ i\{h_{i j}:U_{i j} \to U_i\}_{j\in J_i} for each ii is also a sheaf for the family of all composites {f ih ij:U ijU} iI,jU i\{f_i h_{i j}:U_{i j}\to U\}_{i\in I, j\in U_i}.

Which shows that the coverings can be closed up so that the following is true:

For any covering {f i:U iU} iI\{f_i : U_i \to U\}_{i \in I} and any function hh which associates to any iIi \in I a covering {h ij:U ijU i} jJ i\{h_{ij} : U_{ij} \to U_i\}_{j \in J_i} of U iU_i, the family of all composites {f ih ij} iI,jU i}\{f_i h_{ij}\}_{i \in I, j \in U_i}\} is a covering of UU.

I believe that:

1. It’s constructively provable that we can, indeed, close any given coverage such that this condition is satisfied.

2. While constructively provable, it’s not constructively useful, because in applications we won’t be able to construct a function h as in the condition. Instead, we’ll only be able to show that for any ii there exists a covering of U iU_i such that some property holds.

Do you agree with this analysis? For a constructive context, I propose the following stronger saturation condition:

For any object UU, any set MM of morphisms with target UU and any covering {f i:U iU} iI\{f_i : U_i \to U\}_{i \in I} such that for every ii there exists a covering {h ij:U ijU i} jJ\{h_{ij} : U_{ij} \to U_i\}_{j \in J} such that {f ih ij|jJ}M\{ f_i h_{ij} | j \in J \} \subseteq M, there is a covering {g k:V kU} kK\{g_k : V_k \to U\}_{k \in K} such that all g kg_k are contained in MM.

(We could add the further condition that each of the g kg_k factors over one of the f if_i, to be closer to the classical condition.)

I noticed this subtletly when trying to prove, without skipping details, that the Kripke–Joyal semantics for a sheaf topos satisfies the usual properties we expect of it (monotonicity, locality, soundness with respect to intuitionistic logic).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2018

Couldn’t you just let II' be the set of pairs (i,(h ij) j)(i,(h_{i j})_j) where iIi\in I and (h ij) i(h_{i j})_i is a covering of U iU_i having the desired property? Then if you define U (i,(h ij) i)=U iU_{(i,(h_{i j})_i)} = U_i, we have another covering of UU indexed by II' (it’s again a covering because the original covering factors through it — as long as you phrase that closure condition using an existential rather than a function) for which there is such a function.

1. Oh, yes! I overlooked that we could use this trick.

I’m not entirely sure yet which set of saturation conditions I prefer. The verification of the properties of the Kripke–Joyal semantics goes through very cleanly with precisely the following saturation conditions:

1. The basic condition which makes up our definition of a coverage.

2. The condition that singleton families consisting only of an identity morphism are coverings.

3. The condition stated in my post.

But maybe the Kripke–Joyal semantics are not the ideal yardstick for calibrating the site axioms.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2018

A better-known variant, which is similar to your condition, is the one stated in terms of sieves: if RR is a sieve on UU, and SS is a covering sieve on UU such that for all fSf\in S the restricted sieve f *Rf^*R is covering on the domain of ff, then RR is covering.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

There is of course a definition in the Elephant for internal sites, but it might not be helpful for what you want.

• CommentRowNumber6.

The definition of internal site in the Elephant uses sieves, as in #4.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2018

But maybe the Kripke–Joyal semantics are not the ideal yardstick for calibrating the site axioms.

I think it’s a good yardstick, even if there are others. One would ideally like to argue about iterated forcing in non-classical set theories using the internal language of Grothendieck toposes over Grothendieck toposes. Set theorists who work with ZFC and forcing have a good collection of working rules and lemmas etc that allow one to move from the forcing semantics of the final model to talking about the notion of forcing inside the intermediate model. I don’t recall seeing this type of thing before in the more general sheaf-theoretic forcing setting.