Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Gave an explicit definition as the quotient ring A[x]/(ax1)A[x] / (ax - 1), and mentioned the equivalent definition in terms of multiplicative systems. Gave the example of Laurent polynomials. The explicit definition was already given at localisation of a commutative ring, but the multiplicative system was not given, and I think the construction is fundamental enough to warrant its own page. I will tweak localisation of a commutative ring to link to the new page.

v1, current

2. Thank you, that’s a good entry to have! Not least because of the importance of localising in constructive algebra. (For instance, the textbook by Lombardi and Quitté is full of this, and it’s also fundamental to the Zariski topos approach to constructive algebra.)

I’m wondering about the terminology: I grew up with “localising at a prime ideal” (or at a filter), but “localising away from an element”. Elements of the localisation A 𝔭A_{\mathfrak{p}} can be thought to be germs of functions defined on an open neighbourhood of the point 𝔭\mathfrak{p}, while elements of A[f 1]A[f^{-1}] are functions which are defined on D(f)D(f), the locus where ff is invertible, i.e. away from its zeros.

What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2018

I agree that technically it should be localizing “away” from an element, as counterintuitive as that is from a purely algebraic perspective.

3. Thanks for the thoughts! Definitely we should include the classical terminology! Maybe you could add your remarks about germs to the entry, Ingo? I think it would also be good with an entry specific to A pA_{p} for a prime ideal pp.

I would like to keep the terminology “localising at” present in the entry, because it does make sense algebraically, and I at least find it easier to remember this way. But as long as it is mentioned, and a redirect is kept if the page changes name, I am happy for the default terminology to be changed.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Why do the “v1, current” links in #1 of this thread have an extra “+” at the end of the URL?

• CommentRowNumber6.

Oh, I see, it’s because the name of the page actually had a space at the end!

• CommentRowNumber7.

Changed name to “away from” (and removed trailing space), added remark comparing terminologies, added redirects (e.g. for alternative spelling “localization”).

diff, v2, current

4. Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019

Added some redirects.

diff, v4, current