Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2018

Is there a reason the article on abstract stone duality uses the term \infty-calculus when linking to λ\lambda calculus? Looks like it’s been there since the original page by David Corfield. I was going to just change it to λ\lambda, but it seems intentional.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2018
    • (edited May 12th 2018)

No, there’s a bug involving unicode symbols. There’s a conversation about the problem in this thread. So please change any of these you find.

1. I will try to address these issues this evening.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2018
    • (edited May 13th 2018)

I have fixed a collection of similar unicode issues now. I have not yet fixed those referring to λ\lambda-calculus and β\beta-reduction or η\eta-reduction, though. The problem is that it is non-trivial to isolate them correctly. For \infty-calculus there are also things which should be π\pi-calculus; and one needs context to understand whether β\beta or η\eta-reduction is meant for \infty-reduction. Nightmare! I will do my best to fix it as soon as possible, but I will not have more time today.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2018

How did all these different unicode symbols get collapsed? Is there any help in the database history?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2018
    • (edited May 14th 2018)

Unfortunately the database history does not help (or, at least, not in a direct way; occasionally there is something in the database of relevance which helps).

You know, I’m not completely sure what happened in all cases. It’s a real mess. It seems that amongst some of the encodings backwards and forwards before I became involved, some unicode symbols got converted to question marks, for example ΠW\Pi W-pretopos to ?W?W-pretopos, and an en dash in Homotopy Type Theory – Univalent Foundations to Homotopy Type Theory ? Univalent foundations. Others got converted to HTML code, which is problematic in page titles or symbols with a special meaning in Instiki.

When replacing an instance of the HTML code for an \infty-symbol with unicode in a page title a while ago, I compounded the problem somehow, meaning that I had to try to reverse replacement of the unicode symbol \infty by ?. As you can imagine, there are rather a lot of pages on the nLab with \infty- occurring! There is no easy way to make only the correct replacements, so a few too many things got replaced (basically things with a unicode symbol before a hyphen).

It will be a long time before we clear up all of the mess. All we can do is clean it up as best we can when we come across it (I am also trying to clear it up in the history). I think the cases mentioned in #4 are the most serious on the main nLab that remain. There was a serious one with \ell-adic cohomology, which is hopefully now fixed.

I think the lesson here is to be very careful about altering content of pages programmatically.