Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010

started something at Hamilton operator

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I have always seen this in English as Hamiltonian operator. That already redirects to Hamiltonian; I am guessing that you wrote your article in ignorance of the existence of that one.

They did cover basically different ground —classical vs quantum—, so while I've now put it all in one article, I don't intend to imply that you can't split them again. (I wouldn't do that, but I'm not the one writing.) Just make sure that the redirects go where they should. (^_^)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh. Thanks, Toby, very good to have you around. Indeed, I missed all that. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010
    I added a quick note about unitaries to this entry. It looks unfinished since I had to run to dinner. I'll clean it up later unless someone else wants to jump in.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. So I added to the paragraph that I had written the remark on how this exponential expression that you write is the parallel transport of  H \, d t in the case that H is time-independent. More generally the parallel ztransport is given by the path-ordered exponential, which in the physics literature is known as the "Dyson formula".

• CommentRowNumber6.
    Thanks! That's something I actually didn't know. Perhaps I should be embarrassed by this fact, but I have never heard of the Dyson formula. Is this a field theory thing?

I like this site. I learn something new everyday!
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 3rd 2010)

it might be that people in quantum field theory are more likely to refere to this , but a priori it is just a quantum mechanical thing.

The "Dyson formula" is precisely what mathematicians call "parallel transport".

Some relevant wikipedia entries are Dyson series and method of Dyson series

We should eventually work more of this into the Lab. If you have some time, feel encouraged to go ahead.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Thanks! I just realized that the Dyson series is that part of QED that is insanely accurate. I always knew that QED was the most empirically accurate physical theory to date but never knew that this was the source of that accuracy (which is odd since it's asymptotically divergent).

I've started a page on the Dyson series/formula. Since it's not my strong suit I'm sure someone will need to clean it up.