Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018

I copied over Pavlovic’s definition. Is there are better way to speak of his E opE^{op}?

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.

In the setting of LSR on mode theories, could one think of trifibrations over a mode 2-category, \mathcal{M}, as classified by a map from \mathcal{M} to the 2-category of adjoint triples?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Re #2: yes.

I’m not a fan of the “trifibration” terminology, because a “bifibration” is “a fibration in two ways”, whereas a “trifibration” is not a “fibration in three ways”. Also it leaves no terminology remaining for a fibration whose transition functors have right adjoints but not left adjoints. In FBMF I called trifibrations “*\ast-bifibrations”, with “*\ast-fibrations” for the case of only right adjoints.

1. I copied over Pavlovic’s definition. Is there are better way to speak of his E opE^{op}?

I think this is usually called the dual fibration – I just created a stub for that, and suggest the notation E *E^* (or E dE^d or somesuch) over E opE^{op}.

• CommentRowNumber5.

I adopted Noam’s suggestion of E dE^d for the dual fibration and linked to it, and I added in the reference to Mike’s Framed bicategories and monoidal fibrations.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber6.

Re #3, so shall we adopt your naming convention?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Well, I won’t insist if I’m in the minority. What do others think?

Regarding notation, I agree that E opE^{op} is poor since that looks like it’s referring to the opposite of the total category. What about E E^\circ or E E^\bullet?

• CommentRowNumber8.

To be clear, is the use of *\ast in *\ast-(bi)fibration just alluding to the existence of f *f_{\ast}?

• CommentRowNumber9.

Yes.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018

I guess there is a precedent for reliance on the vagaries of notation choice. There is *\ast-autonomous category based on the use of *\ast to mark dual vector spaces. (By the way, why ’autonomous’?)

Then perhaps the choice of E *E^{\ast} in #4 would fit well.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Precedent, maybe, but not necessarily good precedent. (-:O

• CommentRowNumber12.

Well that did worry me. Is there any reason we should prefer your use of *\ast? There’s no natural reason for the use of *\ast in the adjoints.

• CommentRowNumber13.

No natural reason, no, but at least they’re fairly well established. I suppose we could say something like “Π\Pi-fibration”, with “Σ\Sigma-fibration” being another name for a bifibration; that would also be based on notation but at least somewhat more specific than *\ast. On the other hand, it might also be taken to imply Beck-Chevalley conditions (since indexed products do have such a condition), which isn’t part of the definition we’re talking about here.

(Re: “why autonomous”, some people used to use the bare adjective “autonomous” for a closed monoidal category, or sometimes for a compact closed monoidal category, but it seems to not have survived very far. I suppose the intuition in those cases is that with internal-hom objects the category is “sufficient unto itself” without needing hom-sets, or some such.)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018

While we’re pondering the terminological choice, I added your alternative.

I see ’trifibration’ is also used in a multivariable adjunction setting here.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018

I see ’trifibration’ is also used in a multivariable adjunction setting here

In case this wasn’t clear to anyone else (it wasn’t to me until I looked at the paper), Guitart’s “trifibrations” are something totally different. They are the discrete fibrations over triple products A×B×CA\times B\times C that correspond to the common value of the functors A(a,f(b,c))B(b,g(a,c))C(c,h(a,b))A(a,f(b,c)) \cong B(b,g(a,c)) \cong C(c,h(a,b)) associated to a “mutual right” two-variable adjunction, i.e. a morphism (A,B,C)()(A,B,C) \to () in the polycategory of multivariable adjunctions. In particular, definitely not any kind of generalization of the present meaning of “bifibration”.