Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2018

Started 12-dimensional supergravity following some discussion with Urs.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • (edited Aug 5th 2018)

The Blencowe-Duff article mentions (p. 14) an extended (2,2) object moving in (10,2), as written up in some unpublished article with Hull and Stelle.

No doubt others can fill us in on the relation of 12d supergravity with F-theory.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! I have expanded the Idea-section.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Aug 5th 2018)

Added a couple more references. Things seem to quieten down for quite a time after about 1999 after serious activity.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 5th 2018)

Thanks for adding more, I was myself just about to add pointer to Nishino 97b. Its insistence on 𝒩=2\mathcal{N} =2 in d=10+2d = 10+2 (instead of 𝒩=1\mathcal{N} = 1 as for Castellani and other authors) is interesting, since this is what the bouquet seems to give, too, if my analysis in the email was right.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 5th 2018)

Things seem to quieten down for quite a time after about 1999 after serious activity.

This is true for so many threads in structural string theory. The turn of the millenium was a watershed in the field. The 90s were bursting with ideas into the underlying structure of the theory, then just around the turn of the millenium all that died out.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

gave the “2+1”-brane its own little subsection here and added references for this. Not clear to me yet what exactly the statement regarding double dimensional reduction to the type IIB string really is, and what the relation to F-theory really is.

(I’ll be mostly offline now the next three weeks, being on vacation and at the Durham meeting. )

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber8.

Hope you have a restful one. I’ll be in China during the week 11-18 Aug, spreading the word about modal HoTT.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018

Re #7, so we’d need to see the “2+1”-brane arising in the bouquet from a higher central extension of 10,2|32+32\mathbb{R}^{10,2|32+32}?

Not clear to me yet what exactly the statement regarding double dimensional reduction to the type IIB string really is, and what the relation to F-theory really is.

Boya speaks of the (2,2) Brane at Arguments for F-theory on p. 12, and on p. 15 asserts that

the direct reduction from 12D space to 10D via a (1,1) torus would yield the IIB string from the (2,2) membrane

Shouldn’t there also be a “5+1” brane to generate the M5 brane? Where Boya says

As for the selfdual 6-form in (14), it is hoped it will be related to the matter content,in the same sense as the central charges in 11D Supergravity are related to membranes. Is it possible to relate this selfdual 6-form to the extant (2,2)-Brane? (p. 15)

could this be something like the relationship between the M5 and M2 branes?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018

Regarding that 6-form,

the first hint came from the 11-dimensional extended superalgebra,including the 2-brane and 5-brane charges…this structure provides a model independent signal for 12-dimensions in M-theory with (10,2) signature [13], since the 32 supercharges may be viewed as a Weyl spinor in 12-dimensions and the 528 bosonic charges may be viewed as a 2-form plus a selfdual 6-form in 12-dimensions (Survey of Two-Time Physics)

That 528 is presumably bringing about the 528 appearing in Higher T-duality in M-theory via local supersymmetry as the dimension of an exceptional tangent bundle.

And if 12D isn’t enough,

Taking into account various dualities, 13 dimensions with (11,2) signature appeared more appealing because in that framework S-theory can unify type-IIA and type-IIB supersymmetric systems in 10 dimensions.

So then there’s an “S-theory” (Algebraic Structure of S-Theory) which reduces to M- and F-theory.

Ok, enough!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2018

I guess we shouldn’t restrict to one signature on this page. There’s work in (9,3)(9, 3) signature here

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2018

Added that Kriz paper on (9,3)(9,3) signature.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018

M21M21-branes and (28,4)(28, 4) signature in The Geometry of Exceptional Super Yang-Mills Theories. Seems that people are looking at much higher dimensions.

…the Monster group could be a finite symmetry of the lightcone little group of nonperturbative 27-dimensional M-theory.

Should we expect the brane bouquet to extend up to such dizzy heights?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018
    • (edited Nov 20th 2018)

But 27d is exactly what we discussed earlier could well be the tip of the bouquet over R 0|3R^{0|3}. Just because this is the dimension of 3x3 hermitean matrices with coefficients in the octonions (as opposed to 2x2, which appears over R 0|2R^{0|2}).

But John seems to have given up thinking about this, and I sm plenty busy at another front. If you run into anyone looking for a good thesis topic in algebra+physics, I’d have a good one to offer here.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018

There’s certainly plenty about the Albert algebra in the article.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018
    • (edited Nov 21st 2018)

By the way, I convinced myself that the maximal invariant central extension of 10,1|32+32\mathbb{R}^{10,1|\mathbf{32} + \mathbf{32}} is, while bosonically 12-dimensional, neither 10,2|32\mathbb{R}^{10,2|\mathbf{32}} nor, for that matter, 11,1|64\mathbb{R}^{11,1|\mathbf{64}}.

Instead, it’s the (small) subalgebra of osp(1|64)osp(1|64) which is spanned by 10,1|32+32\mathbb{R}^{10,1|\mathbf{32} + \mathbf{32}} and the dilatation operator DD. That dilatation operator is fixed by the Spin(10,1)Spin(10,1)-action.

This follows (as I had first mentioned to you and John by email on August 1) by direct inspection of the branching rules for osp(1|64)osp(1|64) that are laid out in

• I. Bars, C. Deliduman, D. Minic, pages 4,5 of Lifting M-theory to 2-timed physics (hep-th/9904063)

or in more detail from

• J.W. van Holten, A Van Proeyen, table 7 in N=1 Supersymmetry Algebras in D=2, D=3, D=4 MOD-8 (spire:177060)

This should nicely match Howe’s “Weyl superspace” (here) and it has a more plausible chance to match the F-theory super-spacetime from

• section 8 of T-Duality from super Lie n-algebra cocycles for super p-branes (arXiv:1611.06536)

but this should be checked.

One day I’ll find time to write this up. Or I find a student who takes this as (part of) a thesis topic.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2020

added pointer to

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2020

renamed to better fit the naming convention of entries on SuGra/SYM

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023

Has there been any progress exploring the connection between this and the brane bouquet? If the brane bouquet indeed does end at those 20ish dimensions, wouldn’t/shouldn’t Hypothesis H be a statement at such level that then descends to M-Theory to something like tmf or similar in an analogous way it should do to K-theory in String Theory?

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023

No, #16 is still the latest, still waiting for somebody to make it theirs. It’s fascinating, but myself, I am busy elsewhere.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2023

What exactly happened that pretty much killed off this topic with the turn of the century? Trying to connect the dots, it seems this started getting a lot of attention due to F-theory, but once T- and S-folds were introduced to make sense of this, people seem to have abandoned it. Yet I doubt this explains why the topic was ditched so quickly, especially in light of progress such as that in Hewson and Perry (1996). Either I’m missing a fatal flaw of this topic or it’s a curious sociological phenomenon, to say the least.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023
    • (edited Sep 7th 2023)

Interesting that you notice this. Yes, there was an abrupt change in community behaviour just at the turn of the century — but it’s not restricted to this topic:

The hep-th arXive in the 90s was generally bustling with investigations into conceptual loose ends of string theory, and all of that came to a pretty abrupt halt pretty much with the turn of the century — for some reason — to give way to all AdS/CFT all the time.

I have been bringing up this oddity here and there on forums — for instance I had started out with this observation in my PhysicsForums-column It was 20 years ago today:

While the world didn’t end, after all, 15 years back at the turn of the millennium, in hindsight it is curious that, almost unnoticed, something grand did come to a halt around that time. Or almost. The 90s had seen a firework of structural insight into the mathematical nature of string theory, an unprecedented global confluence of research deeply involving the high energy physics departments with the maths departments.

It’s a curious omen that Duff’s book from 1999 — The World in Eleven Dimensions —, which was clearly written under the impression of the morning dawn of a new era of investigation, has as its very last contribution on the last pages: Maldacena’s AdS/CFT article.

15 years later, when the topic of this one last article totally dominates the intellectural landscape, Moore in Physical Mathematics and the Future recognizes that the bulk content of Duff’s book — figuratively speaking — has in the community’s concience become but dreams of thy youth (pp. 43) — left essentially untouched.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023

It was probably for the best. Already with the advent of quantum field theory the mathematics that control it were not obvious at all, let alone what String Theory should correspond to (which is why it’s surprising the amount of progress that was achieved in those few years people actually cared about its structure). I’d like to think that it will slowly become clear in the upcoming years that QFT should be understood as “linear category dynamics” in analogy to the 100yo “matrix mechanics” formulation. What I do not see yet is what will bring this to the attention of the broader community. The case you mention regarding AdS/CFT is interesting, since arguably it got that overwhelming attention only after Witten wrote about it. But nowadays, I don’t see a single person who can make the community turn their heads towards an “obscure” topic. But who knows, maybe we won’t need such a person after all.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2023

Re#16: What’s the subalgebra 10,1|32+32\mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}+\mathbf{32}} of 𝔬𝔰𝔭(1|64)\mathfrak{osp}(1\vert 64) you refer to in hep-th/9904063? From the relations (11)-(15) one can see there’s the M-theory algebra where the supercharges are Q αQ_{\alpha}, whose anticommutators are dimension 1, thus including the generators of the translations P μP^{\mu}. But if we want 32+32 you want to include the other supercharges S αS_{\alpha}. Yet the anticommutators of these are dimension -1, not 1, so they include the generators K μK^{\mu} of the conformal transformations, not P μP^{\mu}. Or is there a different splitting you’re thinking of?

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2023

I think the idea was to set to zero all the other generators, observing that the result is still a super-Lie algebra.

I don’t guarantee that this works. Back then I thought it would, but I didn’t make further notes besides #16.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2024

In the MacDowell-Mansouri (MDM) approach to d=4 sugra, starting with osp(1|4)osp(1\vert 4) one produces an action that is only invariant under so(3,1)so(3,1). The coset Osp(1|4)/SO(3,1)Osp(1\vert 4)/SO(3,1) is a superspace that upon contraction is super AdS (which then one can contract to super Minkowski?). Castellani has two papers, 1705.00638 and 1707.03411, applying MDM to get d=2+2 and d=12 sugra theories. In the former case, he constructs an action starting again from osp(1|4)osp(1\vert 4) but that is now invariant under osp(1|2)sp(2)osp(1\vert 2) \otimes sp(2), and since Sp(2)=SU(1,1)Sp(2)= SU(1,1) I would want to read this as saying this as describing a superspace with AdS×S 1,1AdS\times S^{1,1} as the bosonic space, which I guess does not sound unreasonable. But then I’m confused about the d=10+2 case, since now one starts with osp(1|64)osp(1\vert 64) and constructs an action invariant under osp(1|32)sp(32)osp(1\vert 32)\otimes sp(32), and I don’t really know to which superspaces these things would be related to as symmetries. Latter sections of hep:th/9904063 do bring up AdS×S nAdS\times S^n bases in the context of Osp(1|4)×Sp(32)Osp(1\vert 4)\times Sp(32) being a subgroup of Osp(1|64)Osp(1\vert 64) but not sure what the coset is supposed to be.