Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I added a discussion of space in Kant’s Transcendental Aesthetics in Critique of Pure Reason.

By the way, the translation of the quote from Kant in the section “On Aristotelian logic” seem a bit strange: I think the original German sentence was “Begriffe aber beziehen sich als Prädikate möglicher Urtheile auf irgend einen noch unbestimmten Gegenstand” (“But conceptions, as predicates of possible judgements, relate to some representation of a yet undetermined object.”).

PS The automatic function to create this thread in the nforum did not word.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2018

Did you tick the box above where you report your changes?

About the entry, we should convey the structure better. You’d never know that ’Transcendental Logic’ is such an important part. But it goes 5 layers deep, see here. Perhaps when I have time.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2018
    • (edited Aug 20th 2018)

PS The automatic function to create this thread in the nforum did not word.

As David suggested, it seems from the logs that the box ’Indicate your changes at the nForum’ was not ticked.

There is a remote possibility that you did tick it and something when wrong between the user interface and the tool which handles the nForum announcing, but no bug of this nature has been reported previously. Indeed, it is quite a long time since any bug has been discovered in the announcement functionality.

2. OK, I think I forgot to click the button.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I still think that it’s a user interface mistake to allow the user to enter text but then silently discard that text if they forget to tick the checkbox.

3. Thanks for bringing this up Mike, I either overlooked this suggestion first time around or had since forgotten about it. I have tweaked the user interface now to remove the checkbox completely, and make the announcement purely based on whether there is anything in the checkbox; and have tweaked the instructions accordingly. Let me know if this is satisfactory; if not, let me know what would be better! I felt it best not to have both the checkbox and automatic announcing if something is in the box, as some people might assume that the checkbox will be respected.

• CommentRowNumber7.

This is great, I think it’s exactly right, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2018

It appears to be impossible to rename a page at the moment – the software gives the “A change of page name must be indicated on the nForum” error. Probably it is looking for the checkbox that no longer exists.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2018
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2018)

Fixed now I believe. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Every time this kind of bug crops up, I think: if only we had a ’staging’ environment which we could run tests against! There are quite a few things to do before that can be put in place, though. But I’ll add it to the Technical TODO list (nlabmeta).

4. Added link to wikisource.

diff, v5, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)