Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2018

I gave this classical reference

• David Hilbert, Naturerkennen und Logik, Lecture at the Kongress der Gesellschaft Deutscher Naturforscher und Ärtze, 1930 (pdf, audio)

its own little category:references entry, for ease of cross-linking at related entries for Wigner and Galilei, and in order to record that famous quote more visibly than hidden behind a link to a pdf.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2018

Have you (or anyone else) ever come across a transcript of the full speech (not the radio version) in English translation?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018

We must not believe those, who today with philosophical bearing and a tone of superiority prophesy the downfall of culture and accept the ignorabimus. For us there is no ignorabimus, and in my opinion even none whatever in natural science.

I’d be curious what or who he had in mind here. My immediate thought was that many intellectuals were still under the spell of Spengler and his predictions of eventual cultural demise.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

David, do you have a link to a German transcript, if any? I haven’t seen that either.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited Sep 20th 2018)

Todd, as you point out, a reasonable guess as to someone he had in mind concerning prophecies about the downfall of culture would be Oswald Spengler and his The Decline of the West.

Interesting. I hadn’t realised that “Mathematics is the object of the first chapter of Spengler’s book”

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik

Re 3, as far as I know (and according to Wikipedia), it refers to Emil du Bois-Reymond’s phrase ignoramus et ignorabimus. (Emil was an older brother of Paul du Bois-Reymond.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Sep 20th 2018)

@Urs

there seems to be this article by Hilbert with the same name, with gems such as

Drosophila ist eine kleine Fliege, aber groß ist unser Interesse für sie

!

Here is a differently-typeset free version

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited Sep 20th 2018)

Urs, it seems that the lecture was published, is in his Collected works in German (pp. 378-387) and translated in W. Ewald, From Kant to Hilbert, 1996, pp. 1157-1165. The English title is ’Logic and the knowledge of nature’.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ukrik, thanks, I have hyperlinked “ignorabimus” in the entry, accordingly.

David C., thanks, I have added this to the top of the entry.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber10.

Aha, here is a Google Books preview (I can read all but three pages)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Ulrik, that’s very interesting; thanks! I also had no idea the du Bois-Reymonds were German.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2023

have referenced that quote by Kant

diff, v5, current