Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Hello all, I was wondering if one or two of you would be able to find the time to see if you think that the arguments on the following page, on my personal web, are correct? There are so many sharp minds amongst the readership here, that I’m sure if there is an error, one of you will make short work of finding it!

Observations on prime divisors of odd integers in a range (richardwilliamson)

With these kinds of elementary arguments, everything has to be exactly right; the entire argument is likely to collapse if the smallest detail is wrong. Thus, though I have checked the argument several times myself, including after having slept on it, it is eminently possible that I have overlooked something, so do read with a critical eye :-).

I am also thinking of making a little page, for completeness, on Bertrand’s postulate, on the main nLab, which I can link to in my argument. Would this be OK (I ask because I don’t know any category theoretic point of view on it at all)?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2018

I think it’s absolutely fine to write on Bertrand’s postulate.

2. Great! I’ll do that now, I have a little time.

• CommentRowNumber4.

I can try to go through this slowly, line by line. The argument seems a bit intricate. First, could I get you to clarify the following point?

Let n6n \geq 6 be an even integer, and let k1k \geq 1 be an integer. Let SS be a set of odd integers with at least kk elements such that max(S)min(S)p k3max(S) - min(S) \leq p_{k} - 3, and such that max(S)n3max(S) \leq n - 3 and min(S)3min(S) \geq 3. Then at least one of the following holds.

1. There is an sSs \in S and a prime pp such that psp \mid s and pp kp \geq p_{k}.

2. There is an odd integer 3t<min(S)3 \leq t \lt min(S) and a prime pp such that ptp \mid t and p>p kp \gt p_{k}. [snip]

Proof. We proceed by induction on nn. When nn is equal to 66, 88, or 1010, 1. holds in each case for all possible kk and SS.

Let me just look at n=6n = 6 for a moment. So here the second set of inequalities force S={3}S = \{3\}. We do seem to have the first inequality on max(S)min(S)\max(S) - \min(S) for any prime p kp_k. But then to say that for any such p kp_k there is pp kp \geq p_k such that p3p \mid 3 holds seems wrong (take p k=5p_k = 5). Did you mean to say pp kp \leq p_k instead?

• CommentRowNumber5.

Oh, never mind. SS needs to have at least kk elements, which takes care of my question. Let me have at it again in a while.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Sep 29th 2018)

Thanks enormously, Todd, that would be absolutely perfect!

Yes, the assumption that SS must have at least kk elements is crucial. There may be a little room to tweak the conditions around what currently is stated as max(S)min(S)p k3max(S) - min(S) \leq p_k - 3, but let’s see how it goes with that condition in its present form.

3. Hi Todd, I have spotted a gap. I’ll let you know if I can fix it; don’t spend any time on the argument meanwhile! But thanks greatly for your willingness to work through it, it is uplifting!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018
    • (edited Sep 30th 2018)

Hello again, Todd, I’ve had another crack at Observations on prime divisors of odd integers in a range (richardwilliamson). If you would still be willing to go through it, I would be delighted if you could take a look.

Theorem 2.1 may look outwardly quite different to its previous incarnation, but this is a bit deceptive; the fundamental ideas are the same, but it is very delicate to find a formulation of the theorem which allows the induction to go through.

Again, I’ve proof read it myself without finding an error yet, but it is very easy to overlook something. The gap in the previous version was quite subtle and only in one tiny detail, though obvious in hindsight. And though the error in the proof was not easy to spot when considered purely abstractly, it was in fact very easy to construct a counterexample to the previous incarnation of Theorem 2.1. That should be much harder to do this time, because the current formulation is only a slight relaxation of something which I have checked to hold on the computer for all even integers up to about 10 610^6.

• CommentRowNumber9.

First, there must have been a subtle error in the link you provided, because it landed me on a page not found. Let’s see if this works better.

I’m sure you would agree that Theorem 2.1 has a lot of moving parts. There is no way I can digest the hypotheses as a gestalt; the only procedure seems to be to start with the proof and refer back to the hypotheses as needed. Let me start just with the first sentence, and see if I follow. In future posts I’ll try battling my way through future parts of the proof.

Let n16n \geq 16 be an even integer, and let k1k \geq 1 be an integer. Suppose that for all integers 1ik11 \leq i \leq k-1, there is no prime pp such that pnp ip \mid n - p_{i} and pp kp \geq p_{k}. Let SS be a set of odd integers such that, for all integers 1ik1 \leq i \leq k, the set S i={sSsn(p i+6)}S_{i} = \{ s \in S \mid s \geq n - (p_{i} + 6)\} has at least ii elements, and such that max(S)n3max(S) \leq n - 3 and min(S)3min(S) \geq 3. If k>2k \gt 2 and n9Sn - 9 \in S, suppose in addition that there does not exist a prime pp such that pn9p \mid n - 9 and pp kp \geq p_{k}. Then there is an sSs \in S and a prime pp such that psp \mid s and pp kp \geq p_{k}.

Proof. We proceed by induction on kk. When k=1k=1, it is clear that the theorem holds for any SS satisfying the conditions.

Well, the hypothesis beginning with “Suppose that” is vacuously satisfied in the case k=1k=1.

For the next hypothesis, we are to suppose SS is a set of odd integers such that 3sn33 \leq s \leq n-3 for all sSs \in S, and such that S 1={sS:sn8}S_1 = \{s \in S: s \geq n-8\} has at least 11 element.

I can ignore the hypothesis “If k>2k \gt 2 …”

We must conclude that there exists sSs \in S such that pSp \mid S and p2p \geq 2. Yep, seems undeniable since there is sSs \in S such that s8s \geq 8, and this has some prime divisor pp. So the proof easily passes this stage of the inquisition. :-)

I’ll look at the next part later.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • (edited Sep 30th 2018)

This is absolutely perfect Todd, thanks very much!

First, there must have been a subtle error in the link you provided, because it landed me on a page not found.

My apologies! Thanks for pointing it out, fixed now.

I’m sure you would agree that Theorem 2.1 has a lot of moving parts.

Absolutely. I could provide some discussion of it, but actually, if you are able to continue in this perfect way in checking the argument, it may even be better for the moment not to have any intuition for it, and just to take it at its cold face value!

and such that S 1={sS:sn8}S_1 = \{s \in S: s \geq n-8\} has at least 11 element.

There was a slight typo in your comment here: it should be sn9s \geq n - 9, not sn8s \geq n - 8. It doesn’t matter at this point, of course, but one has to be very careful with these inequalities later.

So the proof easily passes this stage of the inquisition. :-)

Hehe, great :-)!

• CommentRowNumber11.

Let me just ask about that typo. I was starting the enumeration of primes with p 1=2p_1 = 2. You’re not?

4. I should probably state this explicitly in the statement of the theorem, but I’m working only with odd primes, i.e. p 1=3p_{1} = 3. This is stated in the last sentence of the introduction, but as I say, I should make it even clearer.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Sep 30th 2018)

Thus, to be fully careful, where you wrote

Yep, seems undeniable since there is sSs \in S such that s8s \geq 8, and this has some prime divisor pp

we should actually observe more precisely that since ss is odd, it has some odd prime divisor.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Okay, that’s what I figured. Thanks. More later.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • (edited Sep 30th 2018)

Fantastic! Off to bed now, but I’ll reply to any comments/questions as soon as I get the chance.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018

Let n16n \geq 16 be an even integer, and let k1k \geq 1 be an integer. Suppose that for all integers 1ik11 \leq i \leq k-1, there is no prime pp such that pnp ip \mid n - p_{i} and pp kp \geq p_{k}. Let SS be a set of odd integers such that, for all integers 1ik1 \leq i \leq k, the set S i={sSsn(p i+6)}S_{i} = \{ s \in S \mid s \geq n - (p_{i} + 6)\} has at least ii elements, and such that max(S)n3max(S) \leq n - 3 and min(S)3min(S) \geq 3. If k>2k \gt 2 and n9Sn - 9 \in S, suppose in addition that there does not exist a prime pp such that pn9p \mid n - 9 and pp kp \geq p_{k}. Then there is an sSs \in S and a prime pp such that psp \mid s and pp kp \geq p_{k}.

Proof. We proceed by induction on kk. When k=1k=1, it is clear that the theorem holds for any SS satisfying the conditions.

Suppose that k=2k=2. If the theorem does not hold for some SS satisfying the conditions, the only possibility is that S 2S_{2} has at least two elements ss and ss', both of which are powers of 33. Suppose first that neither ss nor ss' is prime. Then the difference between ss and ss' is at least 3 2(31)=183^{2} \cdot (3 - 1) = 18. But the difference between ss and ss' is in fact at most (n3)(n(5+6))=8(n-3) - \left(n - (5 + 6) \right) = 8, and thus we have a contradiction.

Suppose instead that at least one of ss or ss' is prime, that is to say, equal to 33. We then must have that 3=min(S 2)n(5+6)=n113 = min(S_{2}) \geq n - (5 + 6) = n - 11. But since n16n \geq 16, we have that n11>3n - 11 \gt 3. We thus, once more, have a contradiction.

We conclude that the theorem does hold when k=2k=2.

Okay, for the moment I’m ignoring your proof text (which I’ll come back to in a moment) just to write down what I can extract from your hypotheses for the case k=2k = 2. The first hypothesis asks us to suppose that there is no prime p5p \geq 5 such that pn3p \mid n-3. The next hypothesis has two parts, in addition to the condition that 3sn33 \leq s \leq n-3 for all sSs \in S:

• There is an element sSs \in S with sn9s \geq n-9,

• There are two elements s 1,s 2Ss_1, s_2 \in S such that s 1,s 2n11s_1,s_2 \geq n-11.

Evidently, in this case the two conditions coalesce into the second one. Okay, let’s carry on. We are trying to prove that some prime p5p \geq 5 divides some sSs \in S.

“If the theorem does not hold for some SS satisfying the conditions, the only possibility is that S 2S_{2} has at least two elements ss and ss', both of which are powers of 33.” Yes, that seems to be the case, remembering of course that SS consists only of odd integers.

“Suppose first that neither ss nor ss' is prime. Then the difference between ss and ss' is at least 3 2(31)=183^2 \cdot (3 - 1) =18.” Yes, because they are both powers of 33 that are greater than 33.

“But the difference between ss and ss' is in fact at most (n3)(n(5+6))=8(n-3) - \left(n - (5 + 6) \right) = 8, and thus we have a contradiction.” Yes.

“Suppose instead that at least one of ss or ss' is prime, that is to say, equal to 33. We then must have that 3=min(S 2)n(5+6)=n113 = \min(S_{2}) \geq n - (5 + 6) = n - 11. But since n16n \geq 16, we have that n11>3n - 11 \gt 3. We thus, once more, have a contradiction.” Yes, I agree.

“We conclude that the theorem does hold when k=2k=2.” Yes, looks good to me.

More later.

5. Great! Thanks so much Todd, this is really perfect.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • (edited Oct 1st 2018)

I think I just noticed a tiny, but not serious, gap, in the following line.

Suppose first that there is a prime pp'' such that pn9p'' \mid n - 9 and pp k1p'' \geq p_{k-1}. If p>p k1p'' \gt p_{k-1}, this contradicts one of our assumptions

As stated, I don’t think it does, because the assumption about n9n-9 is made under the hypothesis that n9n-9 belongs to SS (i.e. the original SS in the statement of Theorem 2.1), which it may not do. For now, just assume that the assumption about n9n-9 is made independently of SS. This slightly affects the generality of Corollary 2.2 and Theorem 2.3, but not to a very great degree. Moreover, I think one will be able to treat the cases where the assumption about n9n-9 does not hold if everything else goes through.

6. Hmm, actually one cannot quite simply make that assumption independently of SS either without tweaking some other parts of the argument. I’ll look into it later; please do not spend more time on it in the meantime, Todd, I’ll let you know when it’s in good shape again.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • (edited Oct 1st 2018)

The argument should be in a stable state again now, Todd, if you are able to continue when convenient. Apologies for the disruption. I believe I have addressed the issues of #18 and #19 now.

The part of the argument which you have already verified is unchanged. However, the conclusion is slightly stronger (we require now that sn9s \neq n - 9), so to make this part of the argument (i.e. when k=1k=1 or k=2k=2) still go through, I have strengthened the hypotheses when k=1k=1 and k=2k=2 slightly.

Otherwise the hypotheses are the same as before, except that I have removed the one involving k>2k \gt 2 and n9n-9, and have instead, as already mentioned, strengthened the conclusion.

In fact, the argument for k>2k \gt 2 is almost unchanged as well, actually simplified slightly. So if you had begun checking that part of the argument already before I notified about the gap in #18, your work should hopefully not have been wasted.

Corollary 2.2 and Theorem 2.3 are entirely unchanged.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2018
    • (edited Oct 2nd 2018)

I don’t know if you’ve found time to take a look yet, Todd (if you’re still willing; I understand if not!), but I just wished to mention by way of encouragement that I have been through the latest version of the argument, namely that discussed in #20, numerous times, and it definitely looks correct to me. Of course one can sometimes be blinded when looking at one’s own work, so checking by yourself or anybody else will still be enormously appreciated, but I usually find an error in my work within a day or two of rumination if there is one!

• CommentRowNumber22.

I do plan on looking at it, Richard; Tuesdays are just very busy days for me. I’m glad you’re encouraged! But you know and I know that you’re making a bold claim. :-)

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

I do plan on looking at it, Richard

Fantastic!

Tuesdays are just very busy days for me.

No problem at all, I am extremely grateful for the time you have already given, and you should absolutely feel no obligation to look any further at it; as you plan for the moment to do so, which is very generous of you, you should definitely not feel rushed!

But you know and I know that you’re making a bold claim. :-)

Indeed :-). It would be remarkable if there were not a significant error somewhere.

Immediately after having written #21, it was brought to my attention that there was an oversight, in one tiny place I had indeed been completely blind to. Namely, when k=3k=3, it was possible that the induction hypothesis for SS'' might not be satisfied, because my requirement that there be at least two elements other than n9n-9 in S 2S_{2} might not hold. I had checked this extremely carefully for SS', but completely overlooked it for SS''.

For the moment, I have fixed this by removing the problematic hypothesis, and instead imposing some restrictions on nn. This reduces the generality of Corollary 2.2 and Theorem 2.3 a bit, but they are still more than general enough to be interesting :-). The proof in the case k=2k=2 is now different (very simple), but otherwise the argument is unchanged from before.

I am hopeful that there might be a different fix which avoids reducing the generality, but I’ll need to think more about that.

It might be getting a bit difficult to keep track of which comments in this thread refer to which revisions.

1) The current version, with the latest fix, is Revision 15.

2) The previous version, where the error with k=3k=3 occurred, and to which #20 and #21 were referring, is Revision 12.

3) The version before that, to which #8 to #19 were referring, is Revision 8.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2018)

But you know and I know that you’re making a bold claim. :-)

Maybe for the rest of us, one of you could briefly comment on what’s at stake here. What is bold about the claim?

(I suppose we are speaking about theorem 2.3 at the bottom here.)

I gather the concluding sentence of the theorem claims that primes are not far away, but I have no feeling for how strong the assumption clause of the statement is. It all looks very, what’s the word, peculiarly particular. How do you even come up with the idea of such a statement?

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see now. It is something close to the Goldbach cojecture. All right.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2018)
    Yes, exactly, so the odds are overwhelming that there is a significant error somewhere :-).

Just now I've spotted a further small gap. Will explain later. Please do not spend time on it until then, Todd (or anybody else!).
    • CommentRowNumber27.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

Hi Todd and anybody else interested, I addressed the gap mentioned in #26 earlier today. The latest version is at Observations on prime divisors of odd integers in a range (richardwilliamson), and is Revision 19.

If you are able to take a look when you get a chance, that would be fantastic.

An important aspect of the latest version is that the role of n9n-9, which previously seemed rather too magical, now is very clear. An insight suddenly came to me which felt like exactly the missing piece.

The claims are now back in full generality, not in the restricted generality of #23.

The argument is still very close to that which you began checking in #9 - #16, Todd. However, the statement of Theorem 2.1 has been tweaked a bit; since #9 - #16, a couple of hypotheses have been removed, and the conclusion has been significantly tweaked. Thus, although the arguments when k=1k=1 and k=2k=2 are very similar to how they were before, it might be worth casting your eye over them again.

[Edit: the gap in Revision 15, by the way, that I noticed in #26, was that I had not handled the case that the assumption that there is no integer 1ik11 \leq i \leq k-1 such that np in - p_{i} is divisible by a prime pp k1p \geq p_{k-1} does not hold. For indeed it may not hold: even though we know that there is no pp kp \geq p_{k} with this property, it is possible that np in - p_{i} could be equal to p k1p_{k-1} for some ii. And my argument did not treat this case.]

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2018)

Re #24 and #25:

I have no feeling for how strong the assumption clause of the statement is.

As I think you spotted afterwards, in its latest form, Theorem 2.3 would be the (strong) Goldbach conjecture in full generality. I should note that the proofs of Corollary 2.2 and Theorem 2.3 have already been checked to be correct, except for the first paragraph of Corollary 2.2. So everything hangs on Theorem 2.1 (and the first paragraph of Corollary 2.2).

How do you even come up with the idea of such a statement?

Much hard work :-). More seriously, I am happy to provide some discussion as to how one might arrive at something vaguely like Theorem 2.1, but I’ll leave it for the moment, because I think it is probably best for now just to try the verify the proof as-is, in its austerity. Going from the vague idea of Theorem 2.1 to the present versions has taken many months of effort (though I have not worked on it continuously, I just occasionally come back to it). Over the course of working on it, I basically have acquired a sort of small collection of tools (’mini-proofs’ that I can carry out); the question is to try to assemble them in such a way that an inductive argument can be carried out. I feel I’m getting closer, but I’m of course perfectly aware of how remarkable it would be if this holds up (and thus how unlikely it is)!

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

I see. Last time I looked the last theorem had an assumption about a few numbers below the given one being or not being divisible by 3 23^2, 5, 7, 11. I was wondering what to make of such an assumption. But now I see it has disappeared.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

Yes, this assumption was the reduction in generality which was briefly introduced in the previous version, Revision 15 (discussed in #23), and then removed again in the latest version. The assumption came out of the proof of the k=2k=2 step, but with the tweaked conclusion of Theorem 2.1 in the latest version, it was no longer necessary. For the record, the assumption would have had the effect of roughly halving the generality of Theorem 2.3.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

Thanks. Just out of curiosity: What would be some striking consequences of a proof of the Goldbach conjecture? Any other major statements that depend on it?

In the wake of the recent non-proof of the Riemann hypthesis I saw some discussion of possible effects any such proof might or might not have on encryption standards. If I understood well, then a proof of the Riemann hypothesis would actually not have any effect on such practical matters while a _dis_proof might be more interesting, for practical implications. I gather the point was that the truth of the Riemann hypothesis implies, or would imply, that current algorithms for finding large primes (which apparently proceed by picking any one large number and then searching for primes nearby) are guaranteed to succeed in some nicely bounded time interval.

Anything similar to say about the Goldbach conjecture? (Just out of curiosity.)

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

Good question! What you write about the Riemann hypothesis makes sense.

I actually do not know of any consequences of the Goldbach conjecture except for the fact that it implies Bertrand’s postulate, and I am using Bertrand’s postulate in my argument, so even that would not be a consequence of my argument, if the argument holds up :-)! I am just interested in it for its own sake.

I do think, though, that the Goldbach conjecture is very interesting in the respect that my feeling is that one has to use elementary methods if one is to prove it; I don’t think sophisticated machinery is likely to help. This obviously goes completely against the grain of modern mathematics. So one consequence of a proof of the kind I am trying to give might be that it might make people reflect a bit on this kind of thing.

It is also expected that a proof of the Goldbach conjecture may lead to progress on the twin primes conjecture, but I have not thought about that; and I equally do not know of any significant consequences of the twin primes conjecture!

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t think sophisticated machinery is likely to help. This obviously goes completely against the grain of modern mathematics. So one consequence of a proof of the kind I am trying to give might be that it might make people reflect a bit on this kind of thing.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe one has to or should take sides in this dichotomy between the general abstract and the particular. One wants both. The broad overarching theory in order to see where on the map we are, and then the nitty-gritty lemmas to catalogize the flora and fauna at that spot.

But let’s see, there must be something about the Goldbach conjecture as a statement about Spec(Z). In that language it says that every function on Spec()Spec(\mathbb{Z}) that vanishes at the closed point (2)(2) is the sum of two of the coordinate functions p 1,p 2𝒪(Spec())p_1, p_2 \in \mathcal{O}( Spec(\mathbb{Z}) ) that vanish at (p 1)(p_1), (p 2)(p_2). Hm, need to think about that.

But, sorry, let me not distract you (and Todd) from scrutinizing the proof, first. :-)

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe one has to or should take sides in this dichotomy between the general abstract and the particular. One wants both.

Absolutely, I 100% agree :-). I wasn’t thinking so much here about the level of abstraction. For instance, whilst I really know little about it, sieve theory certainly strikes me as sophisticated in the sense I had in mind, though I don’t know a nice conceptual framework for it at a reasonable level of abstraction. I was thinking more about the sociological aspect that many mathematicians are a bit disdainful of elementary attempts to prove things; it might be nice to have an example which shows that this can still be fruitful.

But, sorry, let me not distract you (and Todd) from scrutinizing the proof, first. :-)

No problem!

I have occasionally speculated a tiny bit about how one might try to categorify the Goldbach conjecture, but have not come up with anything interesting so far.

7. As ever, I have spotted a tiny but non-trivial gap in the latest version as well. Will explain later when I have more time. Thus don't proceed with the proof-checking for the moment, Todd (or anybody else doing so).
    • CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthoruser 170039
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2018
    • (edited Oct 6th 2018)

Does anyone here know how in the following version of the proof the following line holds, “…We have that S k1S_{k-1} satisfies the conditions of the theorem for k1k-1. Suppose first that n9n-9 does not belong to S k1S_{k-1}. By induction, either there is an integer 1ik11\le i\le k-1 such that np in-p_i does not belong to S k1S_{k-1}, in which case np in-p_i does not belong to SS and the theorem holds…”?

• CommentRowNumber37.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2018
    • (edited Oct 7th 2018)

Hi, thanks very much for your interest and for your question!

If I understand your question correctly, say for the proof attempt in Revision 25, we have that np in(p k1+6)n - p_{i} \geq n - (p_{k-1} + 6), and that S k1S_{k-1} consists of all elements of SS which are greater than or equal to n(p k1+6)n - (p_{k-1} + 6). So if np in - p_{i} does not belong to S k1S_{k-1}, then since the inequality defining S k1S_{k-1} and which np in-p_{i} satisfies is the same, the only possibility is that np in - p_{i} does not belong to SS.

The error in the proof comes later, in the following line.

By induction, we deduce that there is an sS{n9}s'' \in S'' \setminus \{ n- 9 \} and a prime pp'' such that psp'' \mid s'' and pp k1p'' \geq p_{k-1}.

Induction gives us only that either this holds or there is an np in - p_{i} does not belong to SS'', and of course ss' could be equal to np in - p_{i} for some ii, in which case induction does not give us anything useful. In retrospect, it is sort of clear to me that the proof cannot work: I think one has to somehow make use of an ss in S kS_{k} but not in S k1S_{k-1}.

What I have done now, in the latest version at Observations on prime divisors of odd integers in a range (richardwilliamson) is to give a proof which is definitely correct, but which is dependent on a hypothesis HH. As explained in Remark 2.5, I can find a HH which satisfies three of the four required properties, but not the fourth. I have tried numerous variations on HH, and variations on the logic (e.g. in all the attempts mentioned in this thread), but so far have not found anything that quite works, though one can come very close.

If anyone has any insight into HH, e.g. if you can give an argument that it is impossible to find such a HH, or if you have a suggestion for a good choice to explore, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts! I myself remain optimistic that this approach can work.

• CommentRowNumber38.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2020
    • (edited Apr 10th 2020)

Just a quick note that after a long time of not working on this, I had a bit of inspiration, and have written up an argument. I have already notified Todd over email. If anybody else would be willing to go through the proofs of Proposition 2.4 and Theorem 2.6 carefully, it would be enormously appreciated. To try to reduce possibility of an error, I have on this occasion gone carefully back through the proof, and written up a step-by-step justification of each assertion. This is Scholium 2.5.

Observations on prime divisors of odd integers in a range (richardwilliamson)

I should perhaps say that the note which is referenced has been checked to be correct by Ben Green amongst others, so it should be possible to focus on the correctness of this actual page.