Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2018

just for the record

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited Oct 7th 2018)

That second point is surely wrong as stated. \mathbb{C} has characteristic 00.

The reference is talking about rational valued characters.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Looks like the coffee stopped working half way through the sentence.

Have expanded as intended now:

1. if the ground field kk has characteristic zero, then a character with values in the rational numbers in fact already takes values in the integers

2. in particular if the ground field k=k =\mathbb{Q} is the rational numbers, then all characters take values in the actual integers.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So here is why I wanted to record this:

The computations I mentioned show that in all examples of interest, β\beta is surjective onto R int(G)R (G)R_{\mathbb{R}}^{int}(G) \subset R_{\mathbb{R}}(G), the sublattice of the representation/character ring over the real numbers on those that are integer valued.

This makes good sense for the physics application that I am after, since the values of the character at conjugacy class [g][g] are supposed to be the RR-charge of the given D-brane in the gg-twisted sector. And it seems weird for a charge to be irrational (we just saw that if its not integer, then its already irrational). In fact, there was once a little commotion in the field when people seemed to find irrational RR-charges (see the references here).

But I need to get a better grasps on how the actual values of a character on a conjugacy class translate into charge, hence into Chern character, under the isomorphism R (G)KO G 0(*)R_{\mathbb{R}}(G) \simeq KO^0_G(\ast).

I was hoping to find this made explicit in

but maybe not.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018
    • (edited Oct 9th 2018)

I was hoping to find this made explicit in

but maybe not.

Oh, now I see that it (= the algebraic expression of the Chern character of a K-class on BGBG in terms of the character of a corresponding representation in R(G)R(G)) is mentioned in Atiyah’s old article: First paragraph of the appendix, where it says that … this is an open problem(!)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018

I have forwarded this question to MO: here

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018

Is there a way to derive such a formula from what is presented in the 7 page introduction to this thesis?

Characters are reformulated in terms of the cohomology of the loop space of BGB G. The Chern character appears via rationalized K-theory (p. 6).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018
    • (edited Oct 10th 2018)

Thanks for the pointer. That’s a nice account of transchromatic characters. Not sure yet if this is of use for what I am after, since I can neither restrict to pp-groups nor to pp-completions.

Another thing I noticed is that it was a bit pointless of me to speak of the Chern character instead of the Chern classes. On classifying spaces of finite groups all cohomology groups tend to be torsion, so that the actual Chern character, in the sense of rationalization, will just vanish away from degree 0.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2019
    • (edited May 9th 2019)

I have spelled as an an example (here) the fact that for cyclic groups the general statement about characters being cyclotomic integers reduces to the trigonometric statement that if the cosine of a rational angle is rational, then it is in fact half integer.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2019
    • (edited May 9th 2019)

[ removed, sorry for the noise ]