Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010

a few more details at model structure for left fibrations

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

The page model structure for left fibrations claims that this model structure is proper. However, the cited propositions in HTT only claim that it is left proper. Is it right proper? If so, where is a proof?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Thanks for catching this. I have fixed it. Not sure why the “left” got missing.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015

Suppose XX is a quasicategory. The model structure for left fibrations on sSet/XsSet/X is a left Bousfield localization of the model structure on an over category arising from the model structure for quasi-categories, since it has the same cofibrations and fewer fibrant objects. Can one exhibit a nice small set of maps at which it is the localization?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015
    • (edited Jul 1st 2015)

Well, the left model structure on sSet /X\mathbf{sSet}_{/ X} is enriched with respect to the Kan–Quillen model structure on sSet\mathbf{sSet}, and all objects are cofibrant, so the following is true:

• A morphism f:ABf : A \to B in sSet /X\mathbf{sSet}_{/ X} is a weak equivalence in the left model structure if and only if f *:Hom̲(B,C)Hom̲(A,C)f^* : \underline{Hom}(B, C) \to \underline{Hom}(A, C) is a (homotopy) equivalence of Kan complexes for every left fibration CC over XX.

(I am abusing notation by omitting the projections to XX.) On the other hand, given a set 𝒮\mathcal{S} of morphisms in sSet /X\mathbf{sSet}_{/ X}, since the slice Joyal model structure is enriched with respect to the Joyal model structure on sSet\mathbf{sSet}, the following should be true:

• An isofibration CC over XX is an 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local object in sSet /X\mathbf{sSet}_{/ X} if and only if f *:Hom̲(B,C)Hom̲(A,C)f^* : \underline{Hom}(B, C) \to \underline{Hom}(A, C) is a (categorical) equivalence of quasicategories for every f:ABf : A \to B in 𝒮\mathcal{S}.

Putting these two together, it would seem to me that to get the desired 𝒮\mathcal{S}, it is enough to check that the 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local objects you get are the left fibrations. So I think 𝒮={{0}Δ n:n0}\mathcal{S} = \{ \{ 0 \} \hookrightarrow \Delta^n : n \ge 0 \} works.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Hmm, when you have an enriched model structure I think you actually get two different notions of locality depending on whether you use the enriched hom-objects or the model-categorical hom-spaces, and the latter is the one that corresponds to the usual sort of Bousfield localization. So I don’t believe your second bullet; instead I would expect to see f *f^* acting on maximal sub-Kan-complexes of those mapping spaces.

Secondly, how do you know that your 𝒮\mathcal{S} (which is the obvious choice) does in fact detect the left fibrations?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited Jul 1st 2015)

Hmmm, maybe the 𝒮\mathcal{S} I suggested doesn’t quite work. How about 𝒮={Λ 0 nΔ n:n>0}\mathcal{S} = \{ \Lambda^n_0 \hookrightarrow \Delta^n : n \gt 0 \} instead?

1. If f:ABf : A \to B is a monomorphism and CC is an isofibration, then f *:Hom̲(B,C)Hom̲(A,C)f^* : \underline{Hom}(B, C) \to \underline{Hom}(A, C) is an isofibration.
    2. So if CC is an isofibration and 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local in the Joyal-enriched sense, then CC has the right lifting property with respect to all members of 𝒮\mathcal{S}, hence is a left fibration.
    3. If CC is a left fibration, then it is 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local in the Joyal-enriched sense, because the members of 𝒮\mathcal{S} are weak equivalences in the left model structure.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2015

Okay. And I think your argument works for ordinary localization too, replacing the internal hom-objects with their maximal subgroupoids and “isofibration” with Kan fibration.

Pedro Boavida has just pointed out to me that your 𝒮\mathcal{S} in #7 is also the answer asserted by Moerdijk-Heuts on page 5 here.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015

By the way, I assumed you meant the set of all maps of the form Λ 0 nΔ n\Lambda^n_0 \hookrightarrow \Delta^n over XX, i.e. indexed not just by nn but by a map Δ nX\Delta^n\to X.

• CommentRowNumber10.

I have added a mention of this fact to the page model structure for left fibrations.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Re #9: Yes, of course. One of the irritations of this abuse of notation.

The definition of weak equivalence appearing on the page (and in HTT) is rather mysterious. (It is much too clever for a definition!) I think I like this Bousfield localisation definition better.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

But can you show that the fibrant objects in the Bousfield localization are precisely the left fibrations without already knowing that the model structure as defined by Lurie exists?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015
    • (edited Jul 4th 2015)

Well, let’s see. We know every 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local object is a left fibration. Conversely, an isofibration CSC \to S is 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local in the Joyal-enriched sense if and only if it has the right lifting property with respect to Δ m×Λ 0 nΔ m×Δ nΔ m×Δ n\Delta^m \times \Lambda^n_0 \cup \partial \Delta^m \times \Delta^n \hookrightarrow \Delta^m \times \Delta^n. But that inclusion is a left anodyne extension by [HTT, Corollary 2.1.2.7], so we are done.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015

Every time I say “Bousfield localization”, I mean in the ordinary sense, not the Joyal-enriched sense.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

It’s obvious that 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local in the Joyal-enriched sense implies 𝒮\mathcal{S}-local in the ordinary sense (for fibrant objects).

• CommentRowNumber16.

Okay, fair enough. Although HTT 2.1.2.7 is already more than half the way towards Lurie’s construction of the left fibration model structure.

1. Hi, sorry to trouble you; I guess also in #13 above it is being implicitly used that every left fibration is an isofibration? (Of course this is well known to be true, probably the most direct way to see this is to use the description of covariant equivalences in [HTT, Definition 2.1.4.5]).
    • CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

Sure. That’s also a formal consequence of the claim that the left fibration model structure is a left Bousfield localisation of the sliced Joyal model structure.

2. In theorem 3.3 describing a set of maps to localize at, the left horn was mistakenly notated with a \Delta rather than a \Lambda.

Anonymous

diff, v18, current