Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

Add page structure, idea section.

I preserved most of the original page under a definition section.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

I’m looking at these “actegories” because I noticed that models of call-by-push-value can be described as actions of a (cartesian) monoidal category on a category with a dual adjunction between the two categories compatible with the action. As an aside, I don’t like the name actegory and would just prefer action of a monoidal category.

Searching for applications for CS/programming I’m curious if there are any common uses of actions of a monoidal category?

The only idea I have is that as monoidal categories are the “right” place to define monoids, an action of a monoidal category is the “right” place to define the action of a monoid: If C acts on D you can define a monoid in C acting on an object of D. Does anyone have any examples where things are fruitfully framed this way?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 24th 2018)

hyperlinked “actions” (!)

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don’t like the word “actegory” either.

One example of this “right place to define monoids” thing is the definition of the bar construction. If VV is a monoidal category acting on CC, and DVD\in V is a monoid and MCM\in C is a DD-module, then there is a simplicial object B (D,D,M)C Δ opB_\bullet(D,D,M) \in C^{\Delta^{op}} where B n(D,D,M)=D (n+1)MB_n(D,D,M) = D^{\otimes (n+1)} \odot M, whose realization is a “resolution” of MM qua DD-module. At this level the gain is perhaps not obvious, since this bar construction factors through the “universal” action of End(C)End(C) on CC, with DD corresponding to the monad (= monoid in End(C)End(C)) T D(X)DXT_D(X) \coloneqq D\odot X. But when you talk about two-sided bar constructions B(N,D,M)B(N,D,M) and “coend-like” bar constructions B(D,H)B(D,H) I think the extra generality can be useful. Although it’s been a while since I thought about this sort of thing much.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton

Hi – The Kelly-Janelidze paper has a nice idea: an enriched category with copowers is the same thing as an actegory that has a right adjoint in the appropriate argument. This leads to a simpler or even more “natural” presentation for enriched categories with copowers. If you are looking for examples, Rasmus Mogelberg and I used it extensively in linear usage of state and I found it useful in Freyd categories are enriched Lawvere theories.

There is also a really nice characterization of enrichment with finite copowers in a locally D-presentable smc, in terms of actions (Prop 2.7 in my Freyd cats paper, but see also “Enrichment through variation”).

Plenty of other people have also found this kind of thing useful including Marcelo Fiore, Paul Levy and Paul-Andre Mellies. This might all be related to call-by-push-value.

1. Actions of monoidal categories are very important in geometric representation theory. For example, everything under the name 2-representation theory in the sense of Rouquier is about this: sl 2sl_2-categorification, 2-Kac-Moody algebras, etc.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018

Thanks everyone for the examples. Unsurprisingly Sam’s are the most understandable to me at the moment. I came to my current model of CBPV from the Enriched Effect Calculus work which I described somewhat here: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/call-by-push-value#as_an_adjoint_logic . I sent you an email with more details!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2019

mention connection to enrichment

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2021

Added a partial definition

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2022

A reference to add

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2022

added reference

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2022

Does anyone know where the term “actegory” originated? The earliest article I found with a little searching is the 2000 paper of McCrudden Categories of Representations of Coalgebroids.

• CommentRowNumber13.

In his Balanced Coalgebroids of the same year he writes

Indeed, Pareigis [Par96] uses the theory of V-actegories to facilitate reconstruction,

but the term isn’t used explicitly there.

• CommentRowNumber14.

The paper in #13 is described as the sequel to yours in #12, and both emerge from McCrudden’s PhD thesis “Categories of representations of balanced coalgebroids”, so perhaps there for the first appearance.

• CommentRowNumber15.

J. R. B. Cockett, Craig Pastro, The logic of message-passing:

The term actegory is used to describe the situation of a monoidal category “acting” on a category. They first appeared (under a different name) in the work of Bénabou as a simple example of a bicategory. B. Pareigis developed the theory of actegories (again under a different name) and showed there usefulness in the representation theory of monoids and comonoids. The word “actegory” was first suggested at the Australian Category Seminar and first appeared in print in the thesis of P. McCrudden [20] where they were used to study categories of representations of coalgebroids.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Better add that in to the entry.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Thanks for investigating!

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2022
    • (edited Dec 9th 2022)

I have touched the Idea-section:

• added more hyperlinkung, throughout

• mentioned coherent internalization of action objects in CatCat

• mentioned that actions of 2-ring-like categories would (rather) be called “2-modules”.

\,

(Curiously, it is category theorists, of all people, who are happy to use “module” for actions of non-linear monoids, so that they should have been happy to say something like “2-module” for categorified monoid actions.

I find the term “actegory” a remarkably unfit choice of terminology. When I was a student I used to think it was meant as a bad joke, until a colleague at a conference insisted to use it in his talk title.)

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2022
    • (edited Dec 9th 2022)

I find the term “actegory” a remarkably unfit choice of terminology. When I was a student I used to think it was meant as a bad joke,

Actually, now that I see #2 and #4 above: We should just go ahead an rename this entry to “action of a monoidal category” and relegate the “actegory”-pun to a historical side-remark.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2022
    • (edited Dec 11th 2022)

19: when I first heard it, from Schaunburg’s talk in 2001, I did not like it either but by now it is quite standard terminology in fact rather than historical “pun”. It is indeed used widely by Pareigis’ Munich school and Hopf algebraists who used a lot of Hopf machinery in late 1990s at least. but there are also works in Australian category theory school as early as that. Published version of McCrudden’s article is from 2000:

• P. McCrudden, Categories of Representations of Coalgebroids, Advances in Mathematics 154:2 (2000) 299-332 doi

and R. Garner recently (2018)

• R. Garner, Adv. Math. 323 (2018) 668-687 __An embedding theorem for tangent categories_ doi

and Street as of 2011 https://arxiv.org/abs/1111.5659 and 2019 https://arxiv.org/abs/1903.03890.

Of course we should distinguish space acted upon and the action itself. Module or module category is used by some schools indeed, but it is even in categorical algebra overloaded term (some other versions of categorical modules are used as well). I don’t know, it is tricky. I think that people motivated by representation theory and CFT like Ostrik, Etingof etc. by module category mean additiive case with action biadditve and exact in each argument (see https://arxiv.org/abs/math/0111139 for example). So it is analogue of a linear module over a ring rather than space acted upon nonlinearly by a monoid or group.

P.S. In 1970s Pareigis has used the term VcategoryV-category rather than VactegoryV-actegory but people in his school switched to actegories in late 1990s or in 2000 at least. Notably Schauenburg from that school wrote several works starting from about that time. Weather they borrowed int from McCrudden I do not know, but regarding that the topic was Hopf algebraic (coalgebroids) it may be.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2022

I am taking the liberty of doing what is right instead of what is common:

• renamed the entry from “actegory” to “action of a monoidal category”.

• have re-written the Idea-section (there seemed to be room for improvement even independently of the choice of terminology)

• replaced all occurrences of “actegory” by “module category”

• except in one paragraph where the alternative terminology is discussed

• which now has the previous quote from Cocket & Pastro 2007 as a footnote.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber22.

Looks like we then need to change that Related Concepts section on the bimodule equivalent called there ’biactegory’, and so then the entry biactegory.

So I guess the latter becomes biaction of monoidal categories.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

No, it should really just be “bimodule category”.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have absorbed the reference to “biactegories”, previously under “related entries”, into that paragraph in the Idea section.

But who actually says “biactegory”? It just seems to be an iteration of ill-conceived terminological choices.

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber25.

Re #23, well according to this current page, we’re only supposed to speak of ’module categories’

if some linear structure is present and respected.

Do people think of more general biactions?

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

according to this current page

You mean according to what I just wrote there. But I was careful to start the sentence you partially quote with “At least if..”

Because, as voiced in #18, I have a hard time seeing why in a context of hardcore category theory — where it is tradition to call any profunctor a “bimodule” — anyone should bat an eye over using “module category” for the most general notion of categorical action.

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

No, it should really just be “bimodule category”.

“Action” and “module” are generally synonymous in category theory (though in some contexts, some terms have historically been preferred, and in some either is used). I see no reason why “bimodule” should be preferred over “biaction”, especially when “action” rather than “module” has historically been used in the context of monoids.

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • (edited Dec 12th 2022)

I am taking the liberty of doing what is right instead of what is common:

I personally find it a bit objectionable to write:

Beware that, alternatively, an old pun promoted in McCrudden (2000) is still fairly widely used by some authors, who find it reasonable to speak of “actegories”1 (and then, for better or worse, “biactegories” for the two-sided case).

Elsewhere, standard terminology has been promoted on the nLab, and alternative terminology mentioned without prejudice, except where there is good reason for it. This comments feels pejorative without, I feel, good reason. You may dislike the pun, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not reasonable, or that there aren’t people who prefer the terminology. I would prefer to reword this line.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Please feel free to adjust the wording where you feel it’s objectionable. (I am not sure which word you are objecting to, but just go ahead)

I would be fine with “biaction-category” or similar. But “biactegory” seems cringy and needlessly so.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

I’ve made an adjustment to the sentence, in particular giving an objective reason to avoid the term “actegory”. I may have picked up on an implication that wasn’t intended in the previous phrasing, but I feel in any case that it is better to be overly careful when presenting preferred alternatives to usual terminology.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

29 biaction category would be indeed a good choice.

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

31: Though I like it I am partially taking it back: as you know, there is a notion of action category for a category or more often for a group(oid) action (no monoidal categories in the game). Baković also has its categorification, an action bicategory for bicategorical action.

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2023

Added a reference to a bicategorical generalisation.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2023

A bit more about enrichment

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber35.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2023
    I was pointed to this discussion by Urs after I created monoidal actegory (now renamed).
    Let me say that 'actegory' is pretty established by now (as Zoran already pointed out), and it feels weird to have the nLab unilaterally deviate from this (possibly questionable) practice.
    But aside from that, 'module category' is really something else, as I noted [here](https://nforum.ncatlab.org/discussion/8861/module-category/?Focus=113093#Comment_113093). One might object it's not the 'module' but the 'category' which is overloaded by people studying k-linear categories, yet the clash remains.

I think using 'action', as it's done currently in the title of the page, is a good compromise: it's unambiguous and short.
    • CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2023

Removed duplicate redirect.

diff, v29, current