Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2018

In the context of CwF how are universes modelled?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorpcapriotti

A universe can be defined to just be a pair (U,El)(U, El), where UU is a type over the terminal object, and ElEl a type over 1.U1.U. Of course, such a universe is not very useful, as it is not assumed to be closed under type-formers.

However, one can prove that a universe determines a new CwF structure on the same category. Define Ty U(Γ)Ty^U(\Gamma) to be the set of morphisms Γ1.U\Gamma \to 1.U, and Tm U(Γ)Tm^U(\Gamma) the set of morphisms Γ1.U.El\Gamma \to 1.U.El. Furthermore, the identity functor can be extended to a CwF morphism from this new structure to the original one.

Now, if the original CwF has a Π\Pi-type structure, you can ask that the CwF structure induced by UU also has a Π\Pi-type structure, and that the corresponding morphism preserves it (i.e. it is a morphism of CwFs-with-Π\Pi-types). This gives a definition of a “universe closed under Π\Pi-types”.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Is it possible to model a cumulative hierarchy of universes? What about things like type families?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

There’s also Coquand’s definition of CwU which we also used in our work on modal type theory. Coquand’s notion is stricter then the usual notion and can be interpreted in sheaf categories.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

And some more references at universe.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

In a CwF, every “term” (element of the presheaf TmTm) has a unique “type” (element of the presheaf TyTy), so I think it doesn’t really make sense for it to directly model cumulative universes where the same term AA belongs to both U iU_i and U i+1U_{i+1}. (Similarly, since no element of TmTm is also an element of TyTy, it doesn’t really make sense for it to model Russell universes, only Tarski ones.) My current opinion (which could change again) is that cumulative universes and Russell universes should be regarded as sugary syntax, like un-annotated lambdas, which get automatically fully-annotated by a typechecking algorithm before being passed to an initiality theorem.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorkyod

I would expect that cumulativity concerns types A1A \to 1 (and more generally Γ.AΓ\Gamma . A \to \Gamma, arrows obtained by pulling-back El:TmTyEl : Tm \to Ty along a representable) rather than “term” AU˜ iA \in \tilde U_i.

In that context “ΓA\Gamma \vdash A is at level ii” would mean that the morphism A:yΓTyA : y\Gamma \to Ty factors through U iU_i (in the CwF), or alternatively that Γ.AΓ\Gamma . A \to \Gamma is a pullback of El i:U˜ iU iEl_i : \tilde U_i \to U_i.

Cumulativity could be stated as U i1U_i \to 1 and El i:U˜ iU iEl_i : \tilde U_i \to U_i being pullbacks of El i+1:U˜ i+1U i+1El_{i+1} : \tilde U_{i+1} \to U_{i+1}, no ?

• CommentRowNumber8.

I really do think cumulativity is a statement about terms belonging to a universe. There is no syntactic way to say “AA is at level ii” other than “AA is a term in the iith universe”.

Cumulativity could be stated as U i1U_i \to 1 and El i:U˜ iU iEl_i : \tilde U_i \to U_i being pullbacks of El i+1:U˜ i+1U i+1El_{i+1} : \tilde U_{i+1} \to U_{i+1}, no ?

But “being a pullback of” is not a mere property; you have to specify a pullback square. That structure then corresponds to an explicit “lifting” operator in the syntax, which is not what people usually mean by “cumulative”.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorkyod

Fair enough. I am happy with an explicit “lifting” operator in the AST of the compiler, and letting the compiler (or the human reader) elaborate these for me (so that render them as sugar syntax as you pointed out).

• CommentRowNumber10.

Which does raise the question of how that elaboration should happen. Does anyone know, is there an algorithm in the literature for compiling Russell universes into Tarski ones and cumulative universes into non-cumulative ones, analogous to bidirectional typechecking algorithms that can automatically annotate abstractions?

• CommentRowNumber11.

@Mike supposedly this says that Russels can be modelled with Tarski ones. This is done by taking lifts as coercions. I don’t know so much about modelling coercions however.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Thanks; but there are no details there, only a few lines sketching the translation and a “claim” that it works. I’d like to see a full proof/implementation translating a Russell/cumulative theory into a Tarski/lifting theory.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorkyod

@Mike I don’t know any actual algorithm that I could name but you can probably adapt the bidirectional algorithm. In checking mode, you have a judgement ΓTAiniS:Ainj\Gamma \vdash T \Leftarrow A in i \hookrightarrow S : A in j that takes as input the context Γ\Gamma, the term TT the type AA and a lower bound ii on the universe level and outputs the elaboration SS of the term TT (with explicit coercions) and the actual universe level jj. In synthetizing mode you have a judgement ΓTS:Aini\Gamma \vdash T \Rightarrow S : A in i where Γ\Gamma and TT are inputs, SS, AA and ii outputs. You introduce coercions at the phase change step

ΓTS:AiniΓAiniBinjkΓTBinjcoe i kS:coe i kBink\frac{\Gamma \vdash T \Rightarrow S : A in i\qquad \Gamma \vdash A in i \equiv B in j \hookrightarrow k}{\Gamma \vdash T \Leftarrow B in j \hookrightarrow coe_i^k S : coe_i^k B in k}

The conversion judgement ΓAiniBinjk\Gamma \vdash A in i \equiv B in j \hookrightarrow k should ensure that kk is an upper bound of ii and jj.

I have written BinjB in j to mean the type BB seen as an element of U jU_j. Is that the kind of algorithm you are looking for ?

• CommentRowNumber14.

Yes, that’s the sort of thing I’d like to see written out in detail.