Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjonsterling
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2018

Dear nLab steering committee,

I’m requesting a personal web. At first I would like it to be password edit-protected, but readable publicly if possible. My initial intention is to use this personal web to compile constructions and theorems related to my current research on categorical gluing, normalization and coherence theorems, internal languages, initiality, etc. Much of the material that starts out here would eventually reach the general nLab at the point when it becomes sufficiently polished.

Thank you, Jon Sterling

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 25th 2018)

The policy is that personal webs can be created for people who have some record of consistent activity editing the main nnLab web. See the previous such request here, it looks like the replies there apply here.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan

nlab source is on GitHub, if you want you can host your own private nlab and use it to make your personal web. If it’s for collecting notes and such. Otherwise you should consider contributing to the nlab.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2018

Hi Jon,

I hope these replies aren’t too discouraging. I think one thing that could be added to the replies to the previous request (which should probably be placed on some FAQ or other) is that you don’t need to worry about notes not being sufficiently polished before writing them on the main nLab. To take a recent example, Tim created category of interest by just copying in some very unpolished notes; he then got some feedback and the entry is already beginning to become more polished. nLab pages aren’t expected to be polished; some have become fairly polished over time, but others have languished in a very unpolished state for a long time, and yet we would still rather have them than have nothing; they provide a stub or starting place for some future editor who wants to polish them some more. (This is another way in which the nLab is unlike Wikipedia.) In addition, there’s no need to have any compunctions about writing original in-progress research on the main nLab, especially if you clearly mark it as such.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

In addition, there’s no need to have any compunctions about writing original in-progress research on the main nLab, especially if you clearly mark it as such.

There are limits to that, though. Various people have come through and have written about stuff that doesn’t jibe with the rest of the nLab, or that winds up being a drain on our time dealing with it, etc. For example, work of incompetents, work of inexperienced teenagers, people who want to plunk down their philosophical meanderings, people who are resistant to assimilating our responses to it – stuff where something about it is off.

I don’t have any worries about Jon, but some people could get a wrong idea.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Good point.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorjonsterling

Dear Mike, Urs, Todd,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I’ll wait until my work is a bit more polished before I start unleashing it into the nlab. My reason for not doing so directly is a combination of two things:

1. I’m currently collecting stamps, and I haven’t yet combined them into a coherent story; Mike’s points are well taken, but I think I can judge that in their current state, it’s not even clear where to put these stamps, if I were going to put them into the nlab directly. My goal is to develop and sharpen them to the point where they will have natural homes in here.

2. This is perhaps a less noble reason (but a reason nonetheless, given the scientific climate)—while some of the stamps I am collecting are folklore (and should therefore go directly into the nlab as soon as their right place is determined), other parts are not. While I have no problem with these things being public, I feel they should first appear in a context that is personally attached to myself and my immediate collaborators.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I’ve been struggling to find a suitable tool for a research notebook besides a gigantic .tex file, but maybe in the meanwhile, hosting a personal “copy” of the nlab myself is a reasonable approach.

Best, Jon

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 26th 2018)

Jon, usually when you have some work in mind that you want to record on the nnLab, it first takes typing up some infrastructure of well known definitions and results on which your work will be based. These would likely be welcome additions to the nnLab. So if you start typing up your work into the nnLab by beginning with that infrastructure, then by the time you reach the point of typing out your original research you may easily have become already the regular coherent contributor who easily qualifies for a private web (if you then still think that’s where your original contributions should go hiding).

• CommentRowNumber9.

Also, FWIW, stuff can always be moved around, including cut-and-paste from one page to another and also renaming whole pages. Not knowing exactly where something should go can be just part of unpolished-ness.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018

You don’t need one gigantic texfile either. You can split them into chunks. I keep some of my notes this way and when I want to put them together I know how to find them.