Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010

created homotopy Kan extension

this is to go along with the discussion at limit in a quasi-category that I am currently working on.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

I feel like in this context, the name Kan extension is just confusing. That is, unless it has a nice little homotopy-theoretic definition. Yes, I know you didn't make up the name. I am just making a remark =).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the name Kan extension is just confusing.

Why do you think that? This gives literally the global definition of Kan extension. The name is compelling.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I added a section that briefly recollects the ordinary notion of Kan extension, to be generalized here.

• CommentRowNumber5.

I'm saying that in the context of simplicial sets, kan anything that isnt' related to the model structure is misleading. The ordinary Kan extension has nothing to do with a model structure. (Or maybe it does? Kan lifts and Kan extensions look like they might be related to some kind of crazy model structure, but I don't know).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Not only Kan anything but also anything anything in 1-categories is usually not related to model structures. But if you look for (infty,1)-categorifications they may be realized via model category presentations. So the categorifications are model related. Isn't that the case here ?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Presumably it doesn't have to do with the Kan model structure, though.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Of course not. Why would anybody make such a strange restriction for a universal-type construction ?

• CommentRowNumber9.

Yes, that is my point. You've got this thing called a Kan extension when you're talking about simplicial sets which have a thing called the kan model structure. I dunno, it just seems like one of those things that would be misleading to someone new is all.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

You've got this thing called a Kan extension

Look Kan extensions have their meaning in category theory for decades without any reference to anything simplicial. Why would that suddenly change in infinity-categorification ? I expect that a newcomer to infinity categories knows reasonable amount of 1-category theory before hand. Otherwise he will be quickly lost.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Harry,

it is unfortunate that Dan Kan had had more than one good idea. But it so happens that Kan extension (have a look!) is a bed-rock term in category theory. Are you familiar with it?

And it's not the Kan model structure, but the Quillen model structure on simplicial sets.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Yes, I'm familiar with kan extensions. I was making an inconsequential remark. It doesn't really matter, I was half-kidding.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

it is unfortunate that Dan Kan had had more than one good idea.

May we all be so lucky as to have enough good ideas that our name is not exclusively associated with one of them by posterity. (-:

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Mar 18th 2010)

SOSHWIS ;)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Why are you wasting time on hours long intended joke discussions ? There is so much you could help in other entries...

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • (edited Mar 18th 2010)

I'm procrastinating to avoid doing homework, obviously.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010

and you expect some support ? :)

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    • CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010

expanded the section on homotopy Kan extensions in Kan-complex enriched catetgories, one of the two crucial ingredients in showing that model-category theoretic homotopy Kan extensions do model quasi-categorical Kan extensions (at least for lims and colims.)

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014

added some basic citations on pointwise homotopy Kan extensions at homotopy Kan extension – Properties – Pointwise

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018

It was pointed out on MO that the page homotopy Kan extension claimed that the domain categories C,CC,C' were also simplicial model categories, when in fact what was meant was that they were just simplicially enriched categories. I fixed it.