Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2018
    • (edited Nov 29th 2018)

I have seen judgements like ΓAType\Gamma \vdash A \mathrm{Type} and ATypeA \mathrm{Type}. I always thought of judgements as your basic statements in a formal theory, and contexts where something that was added on later. Should every judgement be in context?

For example well-formed contexts are usually written like Γctx\Gamma \ctx however I guess one could also write it like ΔΓctx\Delta \vdash \Gamma \ctx. This would make defining contexts a lot easier too as every judgement would be of the form ΓDec\Gamma \vdash \Dec where Dec\Dec is what I will call a decleration. It can be a typing decleration, assertion that a context is well formed, assertion that something is a type etc. That way contexts would simply be lists of declerations.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Judgments are indeed basic statements in a formal theory, but such a statement can include something called a “context”. Sometimes in formal theories where all judgments include a “context” of the same sort, people are sloppy and omit mentioning the context when talking about the judgment, but formally speaking it’s part of the judgment.

Contexts do usually behave a bit specially in terms of how we formulate rules for judgments with contexts, but at a formal level I believe what I said above is true. Bob Harper’s book PFPL has a discussion of this in chapter 3; in particular, after discussing derivability and admissibility, he says

a hypothetical inductive definition is to be regarded as an ordinary inductive definition of a formal derivability judgment ΓJ\Gamma\vdash J consisting of a finite set of basic judgments Γ\Gamma and a basic judgment JJ.

In other words, the judgment is all of ΓJ\Gamma\vdash J, even if it’s usually put together from smaller “pieces” that one might call “basic judgments” (perhaps related to what you referred to as a declaration).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthoratmacen

In proof theory, it seems more common than elsewhere for the context entries to be “basic judgments” with the informal expectation that the main subjects of those basic judgments are fresh variables. This style comes from natural deduction, rather than sequent calculi. It’s not necessarily sloppiness, since you can say precisely how to “sequentize” it, or alternatively, directly formalize what these higher-order derivations are.

On the categories corner, I think it corresponds to using the (covariant) Yoneda lemma. On the programming corner, it corresponds to focusing on closed programs, with the meaning of open programs determined by their closed instances.

In dependent type theory, it’s a bit odd to have any basic judgment as a context entry: would that mean you have equality entries? Type variable entries? With judgments-as-types in Twelf, I think they let you use any basic judgments to form judgments, but then you can use a “world” to express the form of legitimate contexts.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2018

atmacen

If by equality you mean definitional (judgemental) equality then yes, I think this would be a very sensible thing to have in context. Type variable entries would also be very sensible. It would mean that formation rules would need the context to have something being a type too. In fact if one has universes it would be the same thing.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthoratmacen
    Type variables would not be quite the same as having a universe, since the universe itself would be a type. I’m not saying there’s any big semantic problem with allowing those extras in the context, but it’s a difference from usual Martin-Löf type theory, where context entries are all assuming elements of types.
    • CommentRowNumber6.

I believe that allowing judgmental equalities in the context opens a big can of worms syntactically, akin to that opened by equality reflection: if you can hypothesize in the context that ()\mathbb{N} \equiv (\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}), then the term App(3,2)App(3,2) becomes well-typed in that context, and among other things you have to start annotating your applications with the relevant Π\Pi-type since you can’t trust any more that Π\Pi is injective.

Semantically, one can interpret Twelf-style judgments-as-types in a presheaf model, so I believe any sort of context can be at least sort of made sense of. However, it gets progressively farther away from the category one is actually interested in.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthoratmacen

and among other things you have to start annotating your applications with the relevant Π\Pi-type since you can’t trust any more that Π\Pi is injective.

Well we were doing that anyway, in preparation for equality reflection, as you know.

But if you just want ITT, an alternative would be to embrace the absurdity of badly-behaved type equations. Judgmental equality doesn’t need to correspond to the categorical model.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Well we were doing that anyway, in preparation for equality reflection, as you know.

In the initiality project, yes, but this is not an initiality project thread.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Nov 30th 2018)

I have been reading Harper recently and I quite like his book. It’s probably the best type theory book I have ever read so far to be honest. He is very precise and doesn’t abstract things away unless he needs to. I haven’t gotten to what he has to say about Judgements yet, but from what Mike has said I think it will clear up my confusion.